1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double major in computer science and math?

1. Feb 15, 2008 #1
    I'm currently majoring in computer science, though I'm starting to really like math. I've only taken calculus. I will take Linear Algebra and Differential Equations next quarter. It seems that most people who major in math dedicate a lot of time to that particular subject, but computer science classes are also very time consuming, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do a double major. How are upper division math classes like compared to lower division math classes? I'm thinking of taking this class over the summer. Is it going to be a waste of time and should I just take a class that would actually count for major requirements? Then would it be better to take Linear Algebra or Intro to Analysis? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Linear algebra is, if I have understood correct, a cornerstone in computer science.

4. Feb 15, 2008 #3
    The course you plan to take over the summer seems like a standard introduction to writing proofs class. If you are thinking about a double major, you should attempt it. It will tell you if you will enjoy your upper level courses. Writing proofs, reading proofs, are what upper division classes tend to do most of the time.

Even if you don't like it, it can assist you when you have to prove your algorithm is the maximum result.

5. Feb 16, 2008 #4
    Would it be a good idea to take that class with an upper division math class? I've never taken classes that focus on rigorous proofs before though I do read proofs in my textbook (though there aren't that many of them). I've also never written any real proofs before. I'm not sure how much proofs my math classes next quarter will have.

6. Feb 16, 2008 #5
    I would take an intro to proofs class before any upper division classes, since they will assume that you know it (i.e. proof by contradiction, induction, etc.). It could also help you with your computer science. Complexity theory especially is very theorem-proof flavored.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?