1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double majoring in math and mechanical engineering

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    I'm currently double majoring in math and mechanical engineering. I am trying to figure my next schedule out for school and I was hoping you guys could give your opinion on what I should do.

Thank you.

These are the classes I am looking to take

-Phys 2
    -Phys 2 Lab
    -Statics
    -Linear Algebra
    -Differential Equations
    Total of 13 hours

Do you think this is impossible to do or am I just sitting myself up for failure.

GPA 3.96 but my gpa is going to drop cal 3 is getting me this year. And I don't work next semester

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2014 #2
    13 credit hours is not much. Isn't 12 barley full time at your school? Most people need to take 16 just to graduate on time for one major. If this seems like it will be too tough for you then drop one of the math courses and look into getting a easier GE out of the way as well.

4. Oct 19, 2014 #3
    13 isn't bad, 12 is the minimum to be considered full time, and I think at most schools 17 is the max before they start charging you extra, honestly that seems like a breeze, most semesters are 15 credits at the minimum

what else could you squeeze in? If you are really good at math then linear algebra and DIffEq should be easy (make sure you know your integration tables for DiffEq, use integration a lot more than differentiation ironically), and if you are struggling with multivariable calc (calc 3) you may have trouble with physics 2 (Electricity and Magnetism) which is heavily depended on vector calculus in the derivation of equations and concepts

5. Oct 19, 2014 #4
    That is correct 12 hours is full time. Every other semester I have taken 12 and then I take 6-9 hours in the summer. Because I work 25-30 hours a week right now. As of now I am looking at 5 1/2 years to do both. On my third right now.

Thanks for the advice guys that makes me less worried about it. At least I know that the classes should be do able. I just wasn't sure if I was getting in over my head.

Thanks for the heads up with phys 2. I didn't mind the multivariable parts that was what our last test was on. Lately it has been triple integrals and just understanding all the coordinate systems.

*** I could add abstract algebra to the mix also for another 3 hours. The other 4 classes I need are not offered this semester. Then I transfer to finish engineering.

6. Oct 19, 2014 #5
    Keep your nose to the grind stone and you will get through it. Working will make it tougher than normal but still doable. Others have done it and so can you :D

7. Oct 19, 2014 #6
    Will do!! Thank you for your help. I think everything should be work out then. How many hours did you take each semester and how long did it take you? And what was your major? I'm just curious.

8. Oct 19, 2014 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you start taking more than 20 hours a semester, check back with us for further advice.

9. Oct 19, 2014 #8
    Well don't worry I won't be checking back with you. My most will be 18 for my last semester with how I have it planned haha. I couldn't do 20. That's pretty amazing I couldn't imagine that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook