Double slit experiment at home

In summary: You can't reproduce the effect at home. Firstly, the experiment you are describing is done with one photon at a time, which is only possible with special equipment. Also, note that when people say 'observe', they mean measure. You would need some kind of detector beside the slits to do that, 'looking at it' doesn't cut it.
shantanu_l
I just saw a video explanation about the double slit experiment , and how an electron behaves as wave / particle according to if it is observed or not.

I am more intrigued to see in action how an electron will behave as a particle when consciously observed and as a wave function when it is not observed. I followed an experiment video from youtube about how to make a double split experiment at home , with a red laser pointer. I tried it and worked fine , i saw red interference bands on my wall when the laser passed through the double slit. Which means light is a wave.

But how can one get to see a different pattern on the wall as if the light being a particle and not a wave if it is being watched/ observed. I would like to see the light behaving not as a wave when i am observing it.

Please enlightened me about this. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Unfortunately, you can't. Firstly, the experiment you are describing is done with one photon at a time, which is only possible with special equipment. Also, note that when people say 'observe', they mean measure. You would need some kind of detector beside the slits to do that, 'looking at it' doesn't cut it.

So, no, it is not possible to reproduce at home.

Mark M said:
Welcome to PF!

Unfortunately, you can't. Firstly, the experiment you are describing is done with one photon at a time, which is only possible with special equipment. Also, note that when people say 'observe', they mean measure. You would need some kind of detector beside the slits to do that, 'looking at it' doesn't cut it.

So, no, it is not possible to reproduce at home.

Thanx Mark M for your reply:). I have a couple of questions.

1] Is the effect same for electron / photon/ neutrons etc when they are shot one by one and then are measured. Do all of these behave as a particle when measured??

2]Is it same for electron / photon of any element? or light or any type of "matter"?

3]I would like to see this in action( the particle behavior ) ,do scientist record videos of this phenomena or have written reports that a layperson could get to read. Do you know any links to such resources??

Thanks,

Shantanu

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves shining a beam of light or a stream of particles through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. Can the double slit experiment be done at home?

Yes, the double slit experiment can be done at home with basic materials such as a laser pointer, cardboard, and a thin piece of paper or aluminum foil with two slits cut into it.

3. What is the purpose of the double slit experiment?

The purpose of the double slit experiment is to demonstrate the wave-like behavior of light and particles, as well as the principle of superposition which states that waves can interfere with each other and create a pattern.

4. How does the double slit experiment demonstrate wave-particle duality?

The double slit experiment demonstrates wave-particle duality by showing that light and particles can behave as both waves and particles. When the experiment is performed with light, it produces an interference pattern similar to that of waves, but when it is performed with particles, they behave as individual particles and create a pattern of discrete dots.

5. What are the applications of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment has many applications in various fields such as quantum mechanics, optics, and even biology. It has helped scientists understand the nature of light and matter and has led to the development of technologies such as electron microscopes and diffraction gratings used in spectroscopy.