Double Slit Experiment Mathematics

James Brady
Electrons are shot thru two slits separated by a distance s at a screen a distance ##z_0## away. The wave function for the particles is proportional to ## e^{ik \sqrt{(x-s/2)^2+z_0^2}} +e^{ik \sqrt{(x+s/2)^2+z_0^2}}##

Taking the first one, we can manipulate the square root algebraically ##z_0\sqrt{1 + (x-s/2)^2/z_0^2}##, this is where I run into issues, according to the text we can use the fact that ##\sqrt{1+a} = 1 + a/2## in a power series expansion to get ##z_0 + (x-s/2)^2/2 z_0## for small values of x.

I don't know how they got that. When I do a Taylor series expansion on ##z_0\sqrt{1 + (x-s/2)^2/z_0^2}## I get ##z_0\sqrt{1 + (s/2)^2/z_0^2} - \frac{-s/2}{z_0*\sqrt{\frac{-2/2}{z_0^2}+1}} *x## ...

How did they come up with such a simple answer using ##\sum_{n=0}^1 \frac{f^n(0)}{n!} x^n## ?

Am I using the Taylor series wrong?

The book goes on to use ##2cos(\theta) = exp(i \theta) + exp(-i \theta)## to obtain a final wave equation (at the screen) of ##exp(i \theta) cos(ksx/2z_0)## where k is the wave number ##\lambda = 2 \pi/k##

How did they come up with that? I don't see the algebra at all.

Sincerely, confused.

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Taking the first one, we can manipulate the square root algebraically ##z_0\sqrt{1 + (x-s/2)^2/z_0^2}##, this is where I run into issues, according to the text we can use the fact that ##\sqrt{1+a} = 1 + a/2##
That can be obtained from the binomial theorem, which is a special case of Taylor series.
The book goes on to use ##2cos(\theta) = exp(i \theta) + exp(-i \theta)## to obtain a final wave equation (at the screen) of ##exp(i \theta) cos(ksx/2z_0)## where k is the wave number ##\lambda = 2 \pi/k##

How did they come up with that? I don't see the algebra at all.
Do you know Eulers identity for the complex exponential?

Likes vanhees71 and James Brady
James Brady
When I apply the Taylor series about x = 0:

##\frac{f(0)}{0!}0^0:####z_0 \sqrt{1 + (0-s/2)^2/z_0^2} = z_0 \sqrt{1 + (-s/2)^2/z_0^2}##
##\frac{f^{(1)}(0)}{1!}0^1:##
##\frac{0-s/2}{z_0 \sqrt{1 + (0-s/2)^2/z_0^2}}## = ##\frac{-s/2}{z_0 \sqrt{1 + (-s/2)^2/z_0^2}}##
Adding these values gives a different answer than the book.

I'm not exactly sure what a fractional binomial theorem looks look, I understand the whole number BT, but for square roots and what not I can't find a formula online.

I know Euler's identity ##exp(i \pi) + 1 = 0## I just don't see how that applies here.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
You need to use the Taylor series around ##x = \frac s 2##.

You can make the calculation easier by the substitution ##a = \frac{(x -\frac s 2)^2}{z^2}##, as the book indicates. Then use the Taylor series about ##a = 0##.

Try Eulers formula!

Suggested for: Double Slit Experiment Mathematics

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies