Double Slit Experiment: Timing & Reflection Interference

In summary, the conversation discusses the arrival timing of photons in a double-slit experiment and whether the interference pattern is affected by the spatial and temporal sequence of troughs. It also brings up the concept of reflection interference and whether the backward "wave" from a mirror would interfere with the original forward wave. The experts explain that in Quantum Mechanics, there are no probability waves, and we do not measure the time it takes for photons to travel through the experiment. They also suggest reading Feynmann's book "QED: The strange theory of light and matter" for a better understanding. Additionally, they clarify that in order to get an interference pattern, the source needs to emit photons for a longer period of time, and collecting only a few
Andy_K
Gold Member
Dear All,

I have a couple questions on the double slit experiment I hope you can help shed some light (or photons) on. =)

Arrival Timing of Photons

In a normal double-slit experiment like the above setup, do photons always arrive at the detector at a constant speed (basically, speed of light), or does the arrival time experience fluctuation (albeit an extremely minute one)?

Since the interference pattern is a result of many troughs of (probability) waves, and troughs seem to have a certain order in its propagation (just like in waves, some troughs are in front and some behind), does that mean if a photon is detected at a position created by interference of troughs further back, it would actually arrive at the detector at a slightly later time?

I understand that the "wave" is not physical, but if the interference resembles the characteristics of normal waves, wouldn't that also signify a correlation to the spatial and temporal sequence of troughs?Reflection Interference
If we change some parts of P (please refer to photo below) to become a mirror, so that the photon is either reflected back or detected there, would the reflection's backward "wave" interfere with the forward "waves", or perhaps even cancel it out since it's an opposing "motion"?Thank you for your guidance.
5nAW5an.png

Physics news on Phys.org
[Reflection Interference
If we change some parts of P (please refer to photo below) to become a mirror, so that the photon is either reflected back or detected there, would the reflection's backward "wave" interfere with the forward "waves", or perhaps even cancel it out since it's an opposing "motion"? /QUOTE]
EM waves form an interference pattern above the surface of a mirror.

Likes Andy_K
Andy_K said:
Since the interference pattern is a result of many troughs of (probability) waves
There are no probability waves in Quantum Mechanics. There is a term "probability amplitude", but it's phase does not describe amplitude oscillations. It's phase rather describes rotation in complex plane (mathematically speaking).
You might give a try to Feynmann's (very layman-friendly) book "QED: The strange theory of light and matter".

Likes Andy_K
Andy_K said:
do photons always arrive at the detector at a constant speed (basically, speed of light), or does the arrival time experience fluctuation (albeit an extremely minute one)?

We don't measure the time it takes for the photons to travel through the experiment, so there is no answer to this question. All we measure is the pattern of light and dark at the detector.

Likes Andy_K
PeterDonis said:
We don't measure the time it takes for the photons to travel through the experiment, so there is no answer to this question. All we measure is the pattern of light and dark at the detector.

May I know if we don't measure because it is not relevant, not possible, or that it will always be the constant speed of light?

tech99 said:
EM waves form an interference pattern above the surface of a mirror.

Does that mean the wave propagating back will interfere with the original forward wave, at spaces between the barrier/slit and detector?

Andy_K said:
May I know if we don't measure because it is not relevant, not possible, or that it will always be the constant speed of light?

Not relevant (since the point of the experiment is to measure the pattern of light and dark at the detector) and not possible (because we can't measure the times at which individual photons leave the source).

Likes Andy_K
Andy_K said:
Does that mean the wave propagating back will interfere with the original forward wave, at spaces between the barrier/slit and detector?
In classical physics terms, which is all I know, yes. Light from the first double slit is interfered with with by light from its image, which is a second double slit located the same distance behind the mirror.

Likes Andy_K
tech99 said:
Light from the first double slit is interfered with with by light from its image, which is a second double slit located the same distance behind the mirror

This is correct; the QM model of this is basically the same as the classical model as far as the wave interference is concerned.

Likes Andy_K
Thank you very much for your guidance, Zonde, Tech99 and PeterDonis! I have much to learn :)

zonde said:
You might give a try to Feynmann's (very layman-friendly) book "QED: The strange theory of light and matter".

tech99 said:
In classical physics terms, which is all I know, yes. Light from the first double slit is interfered with with by light from its image, which is a second double slit located the same distance behind the mirror.

PeterDonis said:
This is correct; the QM model of this is basically the same as the classical model as far as the wave interference is concerned.

Likes zonde
PeterDonis said:
Not relevant (since the point of the experiment is to measure the pattern of light and dark at the detector) and not possible (because we can't measure the times at which individual photons leave the source).

Of course you can measure the time of emission. You just turn the source on for a very small amount of time.

Andrei

ueit said:
You just turn the source on for a very small amount of time

And then you won't get an interference pattern at the detector; you'll only get a single dot where the single photon that was emitted by the source landed. (Actually, you might not get a photon at all, or you might get two or three, since the source does not emit photons at precise time intervals, there is only a probability of photon emission per unit time.)

You'll also not get an interference pattern by collecting a lot of photons in this way since if you turn on the source only for a very small amount of time, the energy of the produced photons is very uncertain. So you will get a structureless pattern on your photoplate at the end.

Likes PeterDonis
PeterDonis said:
And then you won't get an interference pattern at the detector; you'll only get a single dot where the single photon that was emitted by the source landed. (Actually, you might not get a photon at all, or you might get two or three, since the source does not emit photons at precise time intervals, there is only a probability of photon emission per unit time.)

Of course you can repeat the process until the pattern forms.

vanhees71 said:
You'll also not get an interference pattern by collecting a lot of photons in this way since if you turn on the source only for a very small amount of time, the energy of the produced photons is very uncertain. So you will get a structureless pattern on your photoplate at the end.

You don't need to turn off the source, you could just block the light with something.

ueit said:
You don't need to turn off the source, you could just block the light with something.

How accurately can you measure the timing of when the light is blocked or not blocked? (The same question would apply to turning the source on and off.)

Also, how do you know you will still get an interference pattern in this way? The usual QM prediction of an interference pattern assumes that all photons from the source make it to the detector.

PeterDonis said:
How accurately can you measure the timing of when the light is blocked or not blocked? (The same question would apply to turning the source on and off.)

I think you can measure the timing as accurately as you want. For example you can place a rotating disk with a small slit in front of the source. The rotation speed determines the time interval when the particle is emitted and I see no problem with making that interval as small as you want.

Also, how do you know you will still get an interference pattern in this way? The usual QM prediction of an interference pattern assumes that all photons from the source make it to the detector.

I have never heard of such a requirement and I don't believe it can be true. As far as I can tell QM's prediction is about each particle. Each photon has a certain probability to be detected at each point on the screen. The number of photons that are detected is irrelevant, but, in order to "see" the pattern you need a certain number of them.

ueit said:
As far as I can tell QM's prediction is about each particle

The requirement could be stated in an equivalent form that applies to a single photon: the wave function of the photon exiting the source must have no restriction in emission time. (The usual assumption is that the photon is a plane wave.) Your scheme for measuring the time of emission puts a restriction on the emission time, and that changes the wave function of photons exiting the "source" (which is now the original source plus your apparatus for measuring the emission time).

In short, your apparatus changes the wave function of each photon in the experiment, and I think this change will affect the prediction of what will be observed at the detector. I understand that you disagree, but I would like to see something more to back that up than just your opinion. A mathematical treatment would be nice.

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a famous physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How does timing affect the double slit experiment?

The timing of the experiment refers to the speed at which the particles or waves are passing through the slits. If the particles are released one at a time, they will still produce an interference pattern over time. However, if the particles are released simultaneously, the interference pattern will disappear.

3. What is reflection interference in the double slit experiment?

Reflection interference occurs when light waves reflect off a surface and interfere with each other. In the double slit experiment, this can happen when the light is reflected off the slits themselves, causing an interference pattern to form on the screen.

4. How does the distance between the slits affect the interference pattern in the double slit experiment?

The distance between the slits plays a crucial role in the interference pattern. The wider the distance, the smaller the interference pattern will be, and the closer the distance, the larger the pattern will be. This is because the distance between the slits affects the phase difference between the waves passing through them.

5. What is the significance of the double slit experiment in modern physics?

The double slit experiment has significant implications for modern physics, as it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and other subatomic particles. It also led to the development of quantum mechanics, which is essential in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. The experiment continues to be studied and used in various fields of physics, such as optics, quantum computing, and quantum entanglement.