Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Slit - Observation Appartaus is Key?

1. Jan 13, 2012 #1
    Hi - brand new here, so go easy on me! :)

I have been considering that the major difference between the observed and the unobserved in relation to the behaviour of light particles appears to be missing something. Every "measurement" device used in the unobserved tests relies on linear components and apparatus - nothing is convex or concave. Bringing an observation device to the experiment introduces some kind of lens (doesn't it?) - surely this introduces a convex component to the apparatus/experiment..?

I have no idea how that pans out mathematically but having introduced an item of apparatus that (potentially) contains a curve must have some effect on how things are observed, rather than relying on results which, when unobserved, have no such curves(?)

I expect this has been discussed previously but I can't find mention of it, so I am offering it for discussion.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2012 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Your post is very difficult to understand. What does this "curve" or "convex or concave" have anything to do with anything?

And in case you didn't know, such "double slit" phenomenon can also be observed in electrons, buckyballs, and superconducting current going through 2 different current branches. What "curve" or "convex/concave" would be equivalent there?

Zz.

4. Jan 13, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the response - as I said, I'm new to this but I have an avid interest.

I mentioned that there must be some sort of apparatus with which to observe how the particles enter each slit - what I am trying to convey, is;

Without observation, the objects seem to act differently that when they are observed. I am questioning the method of observation (which I am not clear on) - is the observation point which appears to affect the results via a lens of any sort?

I'm not sure where I am going with this, at all - but I am suggesting that applying an observation point which contains a curvature may have an affect on the observed object(s).

I'm sure as I move along with this, I can formulate my comments a little more clearly - they are not really all that clear to me at present - thanks for your patience!

5. Jan 13, 2012 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The "observation" depends on the particle in question. If I have electrons going through a double slit, then I only need some sort of a "pick-up loop" at the slits. No "lens".

Please note that the double slit is an example of single-particle interference. Single-particle interference is the general principle at work here. You need to understand what this is first and realize that this occurs in many different systems, not just for light/photons.

Zz.

6. Jan 13, 2012 #5
    Thank you - I will study it some more and see if what I am implying works in other areas.

7. Jan 13, 2012 #6
    You might find researching the delayed-choice quantum eraser thought experiment of Marlan Scully, of use.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook