Double slit - properties of slit?

In summary: Thanks. I agree with seeing waves and wave functions as abstract tools. Any textbook you recommend so I can continue my studies? If I understand it right, each moment in time a particle is defined by conservation laws, but each moment changes from what was and what will be, thus appearing disordered, but within a moment of...
Homestar1
In the double slit experiment, are there articles that study different slit properties (e.g. charges, magnetic fields, current, etc.)? Curious if a wave is the property of the measurement, changing the properties of the experiment may alter the output measurement.

Physics news on Phys.org
The slits don't have any of the listed properties - charge, current and magnetic fields.

EPR said:
The slits don't have any of the listed properties - charge, current and magnetic fields.
Thanks. Am curious if anyone has set up an experiment to change these properties to see what happens and if they influence an outcome in theoretically predictable ways.

Homestar1 said:
Thanks. Am curious if anyone has set up an experiment to change these properties to see what happens and if they influence an outcome in theoretically predictable ways.
The double slit can be done with photons, which lack charge. The purpose of the double slit setup is to demonstrate particle self-interference, which would not be affected by varying anything you mention (unless it gave any which-slit information, in which case the interference pattern would disappear).

Thank you!

What is the idea? Anything that can be continuously observed and measured will always act as if it was classical, even if it were extremely tiny and entirely quantum in nature. Be it atoms or elementary 'particles'. Or macro objects.

DrChinese said:
The double slit can be done with photons, which lack charge. The purpose of the double slit setup is to demonstrate particle self-interference, which would not be affected by varying anything you mention (unless it gave any which-slit information, in which case the interference pattern would disappear)

Imagine a theoretical (exploratory) concept where a particle is looked from an observer's point of view. The relative state between the co-objects would have no relative linear motion, zero velocity, and zero displacement, and the particle existed in a self-interference state (if I'm using that term correctly) but had innate circular motion (like a moon orbiting a planet without a planet). Now, when the particle is subject to measurement (now with a velocity and displacement), would it be measured as a wave?

To clarify, the co-objects with no relative linear motion would be the observer and the centre of the circular orbit (where the planet would be if there was one to keep the analogy).

Homestar1 said:
Imagine a theoretical (exploratory) concept where a particle is looked from an observer's point of view. The relative state between the co-objects would have no relative linear motion, zero velocity, and zero displacement, and the particle existed in a self-interference state (if I'm using that term correctly) but had innate circular motion (like a moon orbiting a planet without a planet). Now, when the particle is subject to measurement (now with a velocity and displacement), would it be measured as a wave?

No, it would be measured as a 'particle' at a location. There are no waves.
Waves and wavefunctions are abstract tools for making predictions about the life of the 'particles'. It's much more complicated than that but for the level of the questions, it's enough to guide you. There are conservation laws about energy, mass, charge, momentum and they play a central role for why the quantum appears orderly when it's probed by our macroscopic devices(and supposedly our senses).

Homestar1 said:

To the extent such an idea could be realized: No, because a measurement of a quantum property of an electron (or photon) never shows a value that indicates it is a wave. For example, a measurement of momentum or position will always return a single value.

EPR said:
No, it would be measured as a 'particle' at a location. There are no waves.
Waves and wavefunctions are abstract tools for making predictions about the life of the 'particles'. It's much more complicated than that but for the level of the questions, it's enough to guide you. There are conservation laws about energy, mass, charge, momentum and they play a central role for why the quantum appears orderly when it's probed by our macroscopic devices(and supposedly our senses).
Thanks. I agree with seeing waves and wave functions as abstract tools. Any textbook you recommend so I can continue my studies? If I understand it right, each moment in time a particle is defined by conservation laws, but each moment changes from what was and what will be, thus appearing disordered, but within a moment of time between measures, there is order.

Homestar1 said:
Thanks. I agree with seeing waves and wave functions as abstract tools. Any textbook you recommend so I can continue my studies? If I understand it right, each moment in time a particle is defined by conservation laws, but each moment changes from what was and what will be, thus appearing disordered, but within a moment of time between measures, there is order.
There is continuity.

I am unsure if studying QM in detail will help you much, except maybe to dispel some very common misunderstaings. You'll quickly run out of answers... and definitely have many more questions.
The belief that quantum mechanics is actually how reality really works, rather than how it is a math of probability being used to describe reality with very limited information of its actual structure.
If you measure mass with the metric system, your units are in metric.
If you speak French and answer questions, most likely your answer will be in French.
If you describe reality with probabilities, with little to no real understanding of what is going on, your answer will be in probabilities.
All that this can tell you with certainty is: your answer is always going to be in the format/language you used to ask the question. This doesn't actually mean the truth IS the language/format you asked the question with.

A calculation is a calculation. Nothing more, nothing less. A calculation is not a cause of anything, it can carry no forces, it can provide no existence for anything anymore than any second hand calculation can be independent of the party that calculates it. The question quantum mechanics has failed to answer is what is actually generating the probabilities...the basis for the calculations.
If you are looking to understand how the world really works, go to a church.
I am joking but... you'll likely get more unanswered questions than you have now. And they will be more difficult to address.

Homestar1 said:
Any textbook you recommend so I can continue my studies?
If you are trying to learn QM, there are many QM textbooks available, and it's probably a good idea to study several of them. I personally find Ballentine to be a good introduction. The parts of the Feynman Lectures on Physics that deal with QM might also be helpful (those are available for free online).

EPR said:
There is continuity.

I am unsure if studying QM in detail will help you much, except maybe to dispel some very common misunderstaings. You'll quickly run out of answers... and definitely have many more questions.
The belief that quantum mechanics is actually how reality really works, rather than how it is a math of probability being used to describe reality with very limited information of its actual structure.
If you measure mass with the metric system, your units are in metric.
If you speak French and answer questions, most likely your answer will be in French.
If you describe reality with probabilities, with little to no real understanding of what is going on, your answer will be in probabilities.
All that this can tell you with certainty is: your answer is always going to be in the format/language you used to ask the question. This doesn't actually mean the truth IS the language/format you asked the question with.

A calculation is a calculation. Nothing more, nothing less. A calculation is not a cause of anything, it can carry no forces, it can provide no existence for anything anymore than any second hand calculation can be independent of the party that calculates it. The question quantum mechanics has failed to answer is what is actually generating the probabilities...the basis for the calculations.
If you are looking to understand how the world really works, go to a church.
I am joking but... you'll likely get more unanswered questions than you have now. And they will be more difficult to address.
Thank you for your comments. They resonate well, very well actually. This is a quote from a manuscript (in review) of mine and when accepted (fingers crossed) you may find the work interesting. I'm brought into QM not as a destination of choice, but as a path that is leading me to be introduced to it. This quote below is NOT referring to QM but it ties very well some some of your comments, thus my new interest in QM.

"Once the properties of the physical are conceptually understood, the units of measure become less important in visualising understanding the overall representations. In fact, at a point, a conceptual visual representation can then become a guide to what can be converted into measurement using mathematical hypotheses, models, and testing."

Homestar1 said:
This is a quote from a manuscript (in review) of mine
Please be advised that Physics Forums is not for discussion of unpublished research. If your manuscript is published in a peer-reviewed journal, then it can be a basis for discussion.

Likes Homestar1
You might wish to visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aharonov%E2%80%93Bohm_effect...I don't know.

Likes Homestar1
Homestar1 said:
In the double slit experiment, are there articles that study different slit properties (e.g. charges, magnetic fields, current, etc.)? Curious if a wave is the property of the measurement, changing the properties of the experiment may alter the output measurement.
A particle has a wave function. The wave function completely describes everything knowable about the particle. So other parameters like momentum and energy are intrinsicall contained within this function.

This wave is a mathematical abstraction. There is no physical wave to look at; it must be derived for each situation, e.g the wave function of a single hydrogen electron. The double-slit experiment for particles was the first indication that a particle's momentum is associable with an electromagnetic wavelength - by associating the interference patterns produced by electromagnetic light of wavelength ##\lambda## with the same pattern produced by particles of known momentum.

If you disturb the slits, for example if you try to see which slit the particles entered by looking at the slits, you would need light (photons) to see it. The photons would interact with the particles. That would destroy the wave function and you'd get no interference pattern.

DrChinese said:
The double slit can be done with photons, which lack charge. The purpose of the double slit setup is to demonstrate particle self-interference, which would not be affected by varying anything you mention (unless it gave any which-slit information, in which case the interference pattern would disappear).
When I read your post this morning I thought you said phonons?
May I ask, if a photon is reflected from a sheet of metal, do the electrons in the metal move? This seems an analogous situation to discussing the material of a slit.

tech99 said:
When I read your post this morning I thought you said phonons?
May I ask, if a photon is reflected from a sheet of metal, do the electrons in the metal move? This seems an analogous situation to discussing the material of a slit.
By the Bohr atom model, if the photon has the right energy (=hf) then an electron moves from a lower to a higher energy level. If the photon has even more energy ( energy > "work function") then an electron can actually leave the metal. Einstein won his Nobel figuring that one out.

I am not a qm physicist so can't be more precise than that.
DrChinese said:
I meant particles of finite rest mass. I believe the original double-slit experiments in regard to modern physics involved electrons. Photons didn't "exist" at that time. Light interference patterns were until then ascribed to Maxwell's electric waves.

tech99 said:

The double slit experiment does not examine the material of the slits, which plays no significant part in the usual results. You know that because you cover each slit independently, and the sum pattern of those does not equal the interference pattern (both slits uncovered). So the slit material is not the independent variable.

Photon reflection is a complicated subject, probably outside the scope of this thread. The simplistic answer is that the reflecting photon is not a point particle that bounds off a point electron. It is more like the sum of many possible interactions with the components of the metal.

Likes Delta2, vanhees71 and PeterDonis
Just for my education, are you saying the vector sum pattern does not equal the interference pattern? I assume we are talking about the pattern obtained from many photons over a period of time.

Homestar1 said:
In the far field, the position of the slit (centers) determines the fine details of the interference pattern. The details of the slit shape ( form factor and number) render the larger envelope of the diffraction. This is not usually the salient part in this context and so it is largely irrelevant to the "two slit problem"

tech99 said:
Just for my education, are you saying the vector sum pattern does not equal the interference pattern? I assume we are talking about the pattern obtained from many photons over a period of time.
Not sure what you mean by vector sum pattern.

But the interference pattern obtained from classical physics (i.e. wave nature of light) is the same as that obtained from quantum mechanics.

Experimentally, by equating the interference pattern from the classical wave theory (##\lambda##) to that left by particles of known momentum ##p##, we find that ##\lambda p = h## with ##h## = Planck's constant.

And yes, the pattern is that obtained on a photoemissive screen from many photons over a period of time..

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
Than you, I was just clarifying the comment in #22 about the two signals not adding.
By the way, using classical wave theory the slits are electrically coupled together I believe, but I have not seen it mentioned.

tech99 said:
Than you, I was just clarifying the comment in #22 about the two signals not adding.
By the way, using classical wave theory the slits are electrically coupled together I believe, but I have not seen it mentioned.
No. They're just slits in an otherwise impenetrable wall. In the Young experiment (to which you refer), electricity plays no part.

In QM, don't try to associate charge with electrons. Electrons are often used because they're tiny and their initial momentum can easily be set. QM applies to ALL particles, charged or not, even including (in theory) cannon balls! (Maybe this doesn't apply to subatomic particles; I don't know).

tech99 said:
Double slit interference can be seen with water waves, for example, where there is no electromagnetic aspect.

If you've not seen something mentioned, then by definition it's your idea.

Homestar1 said:
The distance that separates the slits is a factor, as is the distance from the slits to the wall at the back. Magnetic fields, charge etc. is not taken into account. If you are talking about the double slit experiment with light, then these two factors have no meaning, as light is not influenced by an electric or a magnetic field. It is a different story with electrons, where if you try to observe which slit the electron went through using electromagnetic radiation (light) of a short wavelength (i.e. a precise measurement of which slit the electron went through), the interference pattern disappears, as you disturb the electron by observing it. If you increase the wavelength, the interference pattern returns yet the precision is so bad, that you no longer know which slit it went through. I would think the same applies with an electric or magnetic field.

Very good question by the way.

Likes PeroK
Homestar1 said:
Journal of Applied Physics 100, 074322 (2006) (https://aip.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1063/1.2357000?journalCode=jap) or accessible version https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1060&context=mrsecfacpubs

"In the course of our previous qualitative study an unexpected broadening of the diffraction peaks was observed.27 We show that the broadening of the diffraction peaks is affected by the type and thickness of metallic coating"

The reason is the "image charges" in the screen with which electrons interact depend on the electric properties of the screen.

The double-slit experiment is traditionally performed with a non-conducting screen.
Electrons bombarding metal might suggest the photoelectric or some other secondary effect such as what the authors determined. Anyway, not germane to the canonical experiments investigating double-slit interference, or single-slit (Fraunhofer) diffraction, patterns (correlating wave and particle theory results).

rude man said:
The double-slit experiment is traditionally performed with a non-conducting screen.
Electrons bombarding metal might suggest the photoelectric or some other secondary effect such as what the authors determined. Anyway, not germane to the canonical experiments investigating double-slit interference, or single-slit (Fraunhofer) diffraction, patterns (correlating wave and particle theory results).
Could you provide references to your statement "The double-slit experiment is traditionally performed with a non-conducting screen"? For example, https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1367-2630/15/3/033018 uses silicon nitride coated with gold. And anyway, even if the screen is made of a dielectric, its electric properties, such as permittivity (or refraction index, for photons), would certainly have an effect on the interference.

The double slit experiment is an example of interference (when which-slit information is NOT available) vs. non-interference (which slit information IS available, whether or not used to determine which-slit).

The material of the screen has little or nothing to do with this critical element of the experiment. Ditto for the slit material. There might be some minor effects as akmeteli indicates, but these are obviously not the independent variables of study interest.

Likes vanhees71 and hutchphd
DrChinese said:
The material of the screen has little or nothing to do with this critical element of the experiment. Ditto for the slit material. There might be some minor effects as akmeteli indicates, but these are obviously not the independent variables of study interest.
I reiterate my previous remarks #18 and strongly agree that the details don't relate to the premise of the OP question

In other contexts this question is of interest for example Hans Bethe's seminal paper:
http://www.physics.miami.edu › Bethe1944

Likes vanhees71 and DrChinese
akhmeteli said:
And anyway, even if the screen is made of a dielectric, its electric properties, such as permittivity (or refraction index, for photons), would certainly have an effect on the interference.
I'm not sure what percentage of emitted electrons make it thru the slits but any that don't are absorbed in,or reflected by, the slit screen. They will not affect the interference pattern. Only electrons that make it thru the slits are recorded on the phosphorescent screen downstream.

You're raising some good questions that I can't adequately answer, such as what if a mag field is applied at the slits on electrons.

What I can tell you is that the two-slit experiment using electrons as opposed to photons/light waves was seminal in launching qm, and that it did not knowingly involve any properties of the slit material.

(BTW I hope we're on the same page "screen-wise".There is the screen housing the slits and there is the phosphorescent screen recording where the electrons land. In past posts I used "screen" to mean the slit screen.)