Doublie slit w/ electron problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a Young's double-slit experiment performed with electrons, where the two slits are separated by a distance of 2.0 x 10^-6m. The first-order bright fringes are located at an angle of 1.6 x 10^-4 degrees on the observation screen. The task is to find the wavelength and momentum of the electrons. After attempting a solution using the equation lamda = dsinx, the individual realizes that the teacher had given the wrong angle and the results were not correct. Eventually, the correct solution is found.
overside

Homework Statement

In a Young’s double-sit experiment performed with electrons, the two slits are
separated by a distance of 2.0 x 10^-6m. The first-order bright fringes are located
on the observation screen at an angle of 1.6 x 10^-4 degrees. Find the wavelength
and momentum of the electrons.

Homework Equations

lamda = dsinx/n ?

The Attempt at a Solution

So i think electrons display the same properties as light when fired through the doublie slit thingy, thus I just subed 2E-6m for d and 1.6E-4 degree for x and used

lamda = dsinx

Answers not right though...and I really don't know where to continue from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
come on someone help me please D:

What results did you get?

ehild

Last edited:
OK nevermind, what I did was right, the teacher made type and give wrong angle, thank you anywayz

Glad it worked out.

FYI, in the future I recommend posting any final result you calculate. Otherwise people have no way of knowing if you did it correctly all the way through to the end.

What is the double slit experiment with electrons?

The double slit experiment with electrons is a thought experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of electrons. It involves electrons being shot through two parallel slits and then being observed on a screen, showing interference patterns similar to those observed in wave experiments.

Why is the double slit experiment with electrons important?

The double slit experiment with electrons is important because it challenges our understanding of the nature of particles and their behavior. It also provides evidence for the wave-like behavior of electrons, which is crucial in the development of quantum mechanics.

What results were observed in the double slit experiment with electrons?

In the double slit experiment with electrons, interference patterns were observed on the screen, indicating that electrons have wave-like properties. This was unexpected, as electrons were previously thought to behave only as particles.

How does the double slit experiment with electrons differ from the classic double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment with electrons differs from the classic double slit experiment in that it involves the use of electrons instead of light. This allows for the observation of interference patterns in a smaller scale, providing evidence for the wave-particle duality of electrons.

What are the implications of the double slit experiment with electrons?

The double slit experiment with electrons has significant implications in our understanding of the quantum world. It challenges our traditional understanding of particles and their behavior, and has led to the development of quantum mechanics which has revolutionized modern science and technology.