1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubt from a beginner

1. Dec 8, 2007 #1
    I am just a student of class 11.I got a small doubt ,dont mistake my doubt, i am just a beginner .
    My doubt is "What is the variation in Ionization enthalpy , electronegativity ,electron gain enthalpy between the isotopes of a element"
    waiting for my doubt to get cleared .

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The chemical properties of an element are determined by the atomic number, Z, which is the number of protons (+ charge) in the nucleus as well as the number of electrons surrounding the nucleus in a neutral atom. The coulomb (electromagnetic) forces dominate the chemical properties.

Isotopes of a given element vary by the number of neutrons (which are electrically neutral), and that affects mass but not nuclear charge, so the number of electrons.

Any change in chemical properties due to nuclear mass is very small, but they can be expoited physically, which is the basis of laser-based isotopic seperation in which monochromatic laser light (i.e. a very specific frequency) can selectively ionize a specific isotope. Isotopes cannot be chemically separated (chemical interaction with other elements), but must be physically seperated.

4. Dec 9, 2007 #3
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

As i am beginner i will asking many doubts , so please clear my doubts . thanks once again.
    You can also see my thread abt ebooks

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  5. Dec 9, 2007 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Despite your attempt at clever wording, your post here is obviously a homework assignment. Unfortunately, Astronuc just gave you the answer -- something that will not happen again. Next time, post your homework questions in the appropriate forum, and do not ask us to do your homework for you.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?