Doubt Regarding Shearing Stresses In a Beam

In summary, the conversation discusses the transverse shear stress in a simply supported beam with a concentrated load at the center. It is noted that the shear stress is maximum at the neutral axis and minimum (0) at the top. The axes x, y, and z are defined and it is explained that the shear stress on the top surface is zero due to the boundary conditions. The conversation also discusses how to visualize the material not being sheared at the top surface and mentions the integral of the axial direct stress as a way to maintain equilibrium.
Abhishekdas
Lets say we have a beam which is simply supported at the two extreme ends(support conditions don't matter in my question). A concentrated transverse load is applied at the halfway point. Now let's say we take a section at x= L/3 where is L the length of the beam. Now we know that transverse shear stress at that section is max at the neutral axis and minimum(0) at the top. Now I define the axes
x- along the axis of the beam
y- along towards top
z- coming out of the plane of paper
let y vary from t/2 to -t/2. Now take a very small element at the top of the section at y = t/2. Now at this element tau(xY) (shear stress on this face(perpendicular to x axis) in the Y direction) is zero according to " transverse shear stress is minimum(0) at the top". But how is this possible because apparently even at the top the material will tend to be sheared due to the transverse load. How am I wrong? I would really appreciate is someone could help me out.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
the surface at top and bottom are free and hence inorder to have forces balanced, on taking a small element at top of the beam ; since there are no shear stresses towards atmosphere there cannot be any shear stress inside.

Thank you pukb for your reply.
SO basically its right when i say that the shear stresses in the xy(towards the downward portion) is actually zero. Which means maybe the material out there does not tend to get sheared?
Maybe true but hard to digest. I am having problems as to how to visualize it physically that the material won't be/tend to be sheared. :confused:

The shear is only 0 on at the top and bottom surface. For a rectangular cross section, the shear along a line through the beam from top to bottom is a quadratic function.

This is fairly easy to show if you understand stress in 3 dimensions. The axial direct stress varies with the depth of the beam. ##\sigma = My/I## where y is distance from the neutral axis. To maintain equilibrium, the shear has to be the integral of that stress component. The "arbitrary constant" in the integral is fixed by the boundary conditions that pukb described, i.e. the shear is zero at the top and bottom surface of the beam.

AlephZero said:
To maintain equilibrium, the shear has to be the integral of that stress component.
Thank you AlephZero for the reply, but could you please elaborate which integral you are talking about. The derivation for shear stress the way I know it is that you take forces due to moments (axial) for a small element in either direction. If the element length is dx the change in moment is dM and this difference in forces in either direction is accounted for by the shear force at that element. So you end up with tau=dM/dx/Ib*(∫ydA) integrated from y1 to C and here b is the width of the element at y=y1. Is it the same thing you are referring to?

1. What is shearing stress in a beam?

Shearing stress in a beam is the internal force that acts parallel to the cross-sectional area of the beam. This stress is caused by the external loads acting on the beam and can cause the beam to deform or fail.

2. How do you calculate the shearing stress in a beam?

The shearing stress in a beam can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the beam. The formula for shearing stress is: σ = F/A, where σ is the shearing stress, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area of the beam.

3. What are the factors that affect shearing stress in a beam?

The factors that affect shearing stress in a beam include the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the cross-sectional area and shape of the beam, and the material properties of the beam such as its modulus of elasticity and shear modulus.

4. How does shearing stress differ from bending stress?

Shearing stress and bending stress are both types of internal forces in a beam, but they act in different directions. Shearing stress acts parallel to the cross-sectional area of the beam, while bending stress acts perpendicular to the cross-sectional area. Additionally, shearing stress is caused by external loads acting in opposite directions, while bending stress is caused by external loads acting on the top and bottom of the beam.

5. What are the consequences of high shearing stress in a beam?

High shearing stress in a beam can cause the beam to deform or fail. This can lead to structural instability and potential collapse of the beam. It is important to calculate and consider shearing stress in the design of beams to ensure they can withstand the applied forces and maintain structural integrity.