Maximum shear stress in an assymetric cross-section

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for average shear stress in cross-section due to bending and the formula for maximum shear stress in cross-section, which is limited to symmetric cross-sections. The question is raised about calculating maximum shear stress in asymmetric cross-sections, specifically the L section, and whether or not it is possible. It is confirmed that it is possible and a reference to a chapter in Aircraft Structures by Peery is provided for further information.
FEAnalyst
TL;DR Summary
Is it possible to calculate maximum shear stress due to bending of a beam with assymetric cross-section analytically ?
Hi,

the formula for average shear stress in cross-section due to bending is simple: $$\tau=\frac{V}{A}$$
There’s also a formula for maximum shear stress in cross-section: $$\tau_{max}=\frac{VQ}{Ib}$$
But, from what I know, this equation is limited to symmetric cross-sections (rectangular, I section, T section and so on). What about the asymmetric sections such as the L section ? Is it possible to calculate maximum shear stress analytically in such case ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If we talk about an L section (an angle), how will it be loaded? Parallel to one of the sides (in which case you have non-principal axis bending), or will it be loaded along a principal axis?

To be honest, I didn't think about it. I just wonder if it's possible to calculate maximum shear stress in asymmetric cross-sections because all examples I've seen are symmetric in at least one axis. I've checked various books but none of them confirms nor denies that.

FEAnalyst said:
To be honest, I didn't think about it. I just wonder if it's possible to calculate maximum shear stress in asymmetric cross-sections because all examples I've seen are symmetric in at least one axis. I've checked various books but none of them confirms nor denies that.
Then this is a prime opportunity to work it out for yourself. No telling what you may learn in the process!

Yes, it is possible. My copy of Aircraft Structures by Peery has a chapter titled Beams With Unsymmetrical Cross Sections that discusses how to calculate shear in detail.

What is maximum shear stress in an asymmetric cross-section?

Maximum shear stress in an asymmetric cross-section is the highest amount of stress that a material experiences when it is subjected to shear forces. It is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch or pascals.

How is maximum shear stress calculated?

To calculate maximum shear stress in an asymmetric cross-section, you need to know the applied shear force and the area of the cross-section. The formula for maximum shear stress is shear force divided by the area. This gives you the maximum shear stress at a specific point in the cross-section.

What factors affect the maximum shear stress in an asymmetric cross-section?

The maximum shear stress in an asymmetric cross-section is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the cross-section, the material properties of the material, and the applied shear force. The location of the point where the maximum shear stress occurs also plays a role.

Why is maximum shear stress important in engineering?

Maximum shear stress is an important consideration in engineering because it helps engineers determine the strength and stability of a structure. If the maximum shear stress exceeds the strength of the material, it can lead to failure of the structure. By calculating and analyzing maximum shear stress, engineers can ensure the safety and reliability of their designs.

How can maximum shear stress be reduced in an asymmetric cross-section?

To reduce maximum shear stress in an asymmetric cross-section, engineers can change the shape or size of the cross-section, use materials with higher strength properties, or redistribute the applied shear force. Adding support structures or reinforcements can also help to reduce maximum shear stress in a cross-section.