Doubts about Computer Engineering

In summary, a computer engineer could call himself an electronics engineer. Robotics engineering is a very multidisciplinary area, so any of several degrees (CE, EE, ME, Mechatronics, CS, even physics in some cases) will allow you to work on robotics. Robotics will always be needed, and a course in automation will give you a good foundation for the future of robotics.
nebbione
Hi everyone I'm a new user of this forum !
I wanted to know if a computer engineer has some chance to work into robotics and aerospace industry.

What do you think ?
And a computer engineer could call himself an electronics engineer ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Totally. Computer engineering is the main field of engineering used in robotics. Some people think it's mainly electrical, others think it's mainly mechanical, but it's definitely more based in computer than electrical and mechanical. This is good, because it means that unless a robotics undergrad major is offered (almost never is), computer engineering is the best prep for robotics. There are many computer engineers who either majored in CE and then went on to do grad work in robotics, or just simply entered the robotics field with a CE degree. It's such a multidisciplinary area that any of several degrees (CE, EE, ME, Mechatronics, CS, even physics in some cases) will allow you to work on robotics, but CE is the best pure BS for the job.

As for the aerospace industry, robotics will always be needed; in fact, the demand for robotics will increase dramatically over the next ten years alone.

Thanks alot! And my university has a master course named "Computer Enginerring and Industrial Automation" i was interested in that field, do you think is a good choice for robotics ?

I'm still working on my robotics engineering degree myself so my guess would have little more weight than that of your own. That being said, automation is a hugely important use of robotics; in industry, automation is essentially the primary goal of robotics systems. Automation is simply the goal of maximizing efficiency of productivity, ideally reaching a level far beyond that of the human work force. A course like the one you're describing will probably provide you with a lot of knowledge in the field of controls engineering, which is hugely important in both robotics and mechatronics.

So it is a good choice if i want to work in the field of robotics ?

Yup.

Sorry english is not my mother tongue, is"yup" a synomym of yes ?

Yes.

thank you very much!

1. What is the difference between computer engineering and computer science?

Computer engineering is a discipline that combines elements of electrical engineering and computer science to design and develop computer hardware and software systems. On the other hand, computer science focuses more on the theoretical and mathematical foundations of computing.

2. Is computer engineering a difficult major?

Like any major, computer engineering can be challenging, but it also depends on the individual's interests and strengths. It involves a lot of math and technical skills, but with dedication and hard work, it can be a rewarding and fulfilling major.

3. What are the job prospects for computer engineering majors?

The demand for computer engineering professionals is high, and it is expected to continue growing in the future. Graduates can find job opportunities in a variety of industries such as technology, telecommunications, healthcare, and more.

4. Do I need to know how to code to study computer engineering?

While coding is an essential skill in computer engineering, it is not necessary to have prior coding experience before pursuing this major. Many programs offer introductory courses to teach coding fundamentals, and with practice, students can develop their coding skills.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area within computer engineering?

Yes, computer engineering offers many specializations such as software engineering, computer hardware design, network engineering, and more. Students can choose to focus on a specific area based on their interests and career goals.