1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubts about Computer Engineering

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone i'm a new user of this forum !
    I wanted to know if a computer engineer has some chance to work into robotics and aerospace industry.

What do you think ?
    And a computer engineer could call himself an electronics engineer ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2
    Totally. Computer engineering is the main field of engineering used in robotics. Some people think it's mainly electrical, others think it's mainly mechanical, but it's definitely more based in computer than electrical and mechanical. This is good, because it means that unless a robotics undergrad major is offered (almost never is), computer engineering is the best prep for robotics. There are many computer engineers who either majored in CE and then went on to do grad work in robotics, or just simply entered the robotics field with a CE degree. It's such a multidisciplinary area that any of several degrees (CE, EE, ME, Mechatronics, CS, even physics in some cases) will allow you to work on robotics, but CE is the best pure BS for the job.

As for the aerospace industry, robotics will always be needed; in fact, the demand for robotics will increase dramatically over the next ten years alone.

4. Sep 5, 2012 #3
    Thanks alot! And my university has a master course named "Computer Enginerring and Industrial Automation" i was interested in that field, do you think is a good choice for robotics ?

5. Sep 5, 2012 #4
    I'm still working on my robotics engineering degree myself so my guess would have little more weight than that of your own. That being said, automation is a hugely important use of robotics; in industry, automation is essentially the primary goal of robotics systems. Automation is simply the goal of maximizing efficiency of productivity, ideally reaching a level far beyond that of the human work force. A course like the one you're describing will probably provide you with a lot of knowledge in the field of controls engineering, which is hugely important in both robotics and mechatronics.

6. Sep 5, 2012 #5
    So it is a good choice if i want to work in the field of robotics ?

7. Sep 5, 2012 #6
    Yup.

8. Sep 5, 2012 #7
    Sorry english is not my mother tongue, is"yup" a synomym of yes ?

9. Sep 5, 2012 #8
    Yes.

10. Sep 5, 2012 #9
    thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook