1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drag forces on someone diving into a pool

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You dive straight down into a pool of water. You hit the water with a speed of 7.0 m/s, and your mass is 75 kg.

Assuming a drag force of the form FD= (−1.00×104 kg/s)v, how long does it take you to reach 2% of your original speed? (Ignore any effects of buoyancy.)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=ma
    V=Vo+at (?)

3. The attempt at a solution

I summed the forces in the y-direction (down is positive):
    [tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=mg-FD=may

2% of 7 m/s = 0.14 m/s

But I don't know what to do from here. How do I solve for ay when the drag force varies with velocity? If ay varies, then how can I use the kinematic equations for constant a?

I figured this out the hard way after plugging in 7.0 m/s for v and solving for a, which is an absurdly large number. (-923 m/s2)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2
    Are you sure that FD=(-1.00x104)v?
    This coefficient seems kind of large to be for drag, recheck the numbers.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  4. Sep 30, 2008 #3
    Lazyshot,

I should've placed the negative sign outside the parenthesis, but yes, according to my book and MasteringPhysics, that is the coefficient.

FD=-(1.00x104)v

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?