1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the average magnitude of the drag force

1. May 14, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A saucer of mass 1.75x10^9 enters
    1.the gravitational field of PlanetX and enters its atmosphere; the gravitational field of the planet is 10.6 m/s2 and is considered uniform throughout the 80-km thick atmosphere.
    If the saucer enters the atmosphere at 460 m/s and slows down to 110 m/s before its crash-landing, what is the average magnitude of the drag force (gravity cannot be neglected)?

2. Relevant equations

drag for disk, D = (1/4) AV^2
    W = Total Mechanical Energy

3. The attempt at a solution

E1 = (1/2)m1Vi^2 + mgd
    E2 = 0 + 0

So W = (1/2)m1V1+mgd

Because W = Fd

W/d = F

2.55 x10^10

However the correct answer is listed as 2.07 x 10^10 N

I am not sure if my method of using mechanical energy is correct., Or wether I should be using the drag force equation to solve the problem

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2017 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The speed is not zero before the crash.

4. May 15, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The use of this to find an average force is not valid, though I realise it is what you are forced to use in this question.
    Average force is defined as (change in momentum)/(elapsed time). If the force is not constant then (change in energy)/(distance) will not usually produce the same value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted