Draw a Straight Line Graph from Curved Line y=85x^(-1)

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter fatoomch
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Graph Line
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 13K views
fatoomch
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hi,

If I have a curved line of, say, y=85x^(-1) could I say that y is proportional to 1 over x?... and use this to draw a straight line graph?

Thanks
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
sorry if I'm not clear on this.

If A=pi r^2 then A is proportional to r^2 and you could draw a straight line graph of A against r^2

so if y = 85x^-1 wouldn't y be proportional to the inverse of x?... you could plot a straight line graph of y against the inverse of x?
 
You are correct.

What radou thought you meant was that the graph of y plotted against x is a straight line (which isn't true; of course it's a hyperbola). However, if you change the axes and plot y against 1/x, then you will obtain a straight line graph.