1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Draw Incidence Angle of reflection

1. Jan 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Look at the diagram. Draw the wavefronts as they would appear after the reflection. Draw and identify the following things on the diagram.

Incident ray
    Normal
    Reflected ray
    Angle of Incidence
    Angle of reflection

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not even sure where to start, I don't quite understand the diagram. . if anyone can help with a starter, that would be great! =)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2008 #2
    I think the lines are supposed to be the wavefronts. So they will hit the barrier, and some will transmit while others will reflect. I guess the barrier is supposed to be entirely reflective from the context of the problem, or you are supposed to ignore the transmittance, so make the wavefronts you would see if they were reflected.

This is really the most I can do for you because of the highly graphical nature of the problem.

4. Jan 9, 2008 #3

mjsd

Homework Helper

if the lines given are wavefronts then the rays would be perpendicular to these lines

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?