Drawing a graph with broken y-axis

In summary, the conversation is about finding a freeware program that can be used to draw a graph with a broken y-axis. The person asking the question is aware that this can be done in Excel, but finds it to be a cumbersome process. They are looking for a more efficient method and have found a website that provides steps on how to do it, but they are concerned about the time it will take to make multiple graphs using this method.
Pietair

Homework Statement

With what program (freeware) can I draw a graph with broken y-axis.

An example of what I want:

BrokenY11a.gif

I know that this is possible by using Excel, but just in a very cumbersome way, right?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your answer.

Because I have to make quite a lot of graphs with broken y-axis, I am looking for an easier method. The method of the website will take quite some time when I have to make 20 graphs with broken y-axis.

1. How do you draw a graph with a broken y-axis?

To draw a graph with a broken y-axis, you will need to first determine the range of values for your y-axis. Then, decide on the point where you want the break in the axis to occur. Next, draw the graph as usual, but leave a gap in the y-axis at the point of the break. Finally, label the two sections of the y-axis accordingly to indicate the break.

2. Why would you use a broken y-axis in a graph?

A broken y-axis is often used when there is a large difference in values between data points. This can make it difficult to accurately compare the data points on a single graph without a break in the axis. A broken y-axis allows for a clearer representation of the data and makes it easier to visualize any trends or patterns.

3. How do you decide where to place the break in the y-axis?

The placement of the break in the y-axis should be based on the range of values for the data points. It is important to ensure that the break occurs at a point where there is a significant change in values, rather than arbitrarily placing it in the middle of the axis. This will help to accurately represent the data and avoid any misleading interpretations.

4. Can you use a broken y-axis for any type of graph?

A broken y-axis can be used for most types of graphs, including line graphs, bar graphs, and scatter plots. However, it is important to consider the purpose and message of the graph before deciding to use a broken y-axis. In some cases, it may be more appropriate to use a different type of graph or to find alternative ways to display the data.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a broken y-axis?

Yes, there are alternative ways to display data that may be more effective than using a broken y-axis. These include using a logarithmic scale, using a secondary y-axis, or using grouped bar charts. It is important to carefully consider the data and the purpose of the graph to determine the best way to represent it accurately and clearly.