Drawing a heat curve of ice melting

In summary, the ice will slowly change phases until it turns into liquid, boils, and then turns into gas.
Evangeline101

Homework Statement

upload_2016-5-26_18-56-45.png

Homework Equations

equation with each part.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did part a) b) and c) on my own:
upload_2016-5-26_18-59-15.png

upload_2016-5-26_18-59-39.png

Part d:
I am having trouble at this part. I understand how to draw the heat curve but I am confused on what numbers I should use for the x-axis of the graph. I know that I have to start off with 225 s at 0°C, and then keep the line flat until about 1403 s, but I don't know what numbers to use from there...

any help would be appreciated :)
Thanks.

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-26_18-58-27.png
    upload_2016-5-26_18-58-27.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
Evangeline101 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 101286

Homework Equations

equation with each part.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did part a) b) and c) on my own:
View attachment 101288

View attachment 101289

Part d:
I am having trouble at this part. I understand how to draw the heat curve but I am confused on what numbers I should use for the x-axis of the graph. I know that I have to start off with 225 s at 0°C, and then keep the line flat until about 1403 s, but I don't know what numbers to use from there...
After the ice has all melted, what does it become? If you keep adding heat to the melted ice, can't you continue to draw a curve of temperature versus time?

SteamKing said:
After the ice has all melted, what does it become? If you keep adding heat to the melted ice, can't you continue to draw a curve of temperature versus time?

It becomes, liquid (water), then boils, then turns to gas. I understand this part but what I don't get is what values of time should I put on the x-axis, like how long does it take for each phase to change. ex. from a water to boiling...

Evangeline101 said:
It becomes, liquid (water), then boils, then turns to gas. I understand this part but what I don't get is what values of time should I put on the x-axis, like how long does it take for each phase to change. ex. from a water to boiling...
Well, what information do you need to complete the curve? Assume the heater is still putting out 70 W.

I finally figured it out! :biggrin:
Here is my graph:

upload_2016-5-27_20-33-47.png

Thanks so much for the help! :smile:

1. What is a heat curve of ice melting?

A heat curve of ice melting is a graphical representation of the temperature changes that occur as ice is heated and transitions into liquid water. It shows the relationship between the amount of heat added and the resulting temperature of the ice.

2. What are the key components of a heat curve of ice melting?

The key components of a heat curve of ice melting include the temperature scale on the vertical axis, the heat added scale on the horizontal axis, and the curve itself which represents the changes in temperature as heat is added to the ice.

3. How is a heat curve of ice melting created?

A heat curve of ice melting is created by measuring the temperature of a sample of ice at regular intervals as heat is added to it. These measurements are then plotted on a graph and connected with a smooth curve to show the changes in temperature over time.

4. Why is a heat curve of ice melting important?

A heat curve of ice melting is important because it allows us to understand and visualize the thermal properties of ice and how it behaves as it transitions from a solid to a liquid. It can also be used to determine the specific heat capacity of ice and the energy required to melt a certain amount of ice.

5. What can we learn from a heat curve of ice melting?

By analyzing a heat curve of ice melting, we can learn about the specific heat capacity of ice, the energy required to melt ice, the melting point of ice, and the latent heat of fusion for water. It also provides insight into the thermal properties of other substances that undergo phase transitions, such as boiling or condensation.