Drawing a heat curve of ice melting

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Evangeline101
Messages
112
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


upload_2016-5-26_18-56-45.png


Homework Equations


equation with each part.

The Attempt at a Solution


I did part a) b) and c) on my own:
upload_2016-5-26_18-59-15.png


upload_2016-5-26_18-59-39.png


Part d:
I am having trouble at this part. I understand how to draw the heat curve but I am confused on what numbers I should use for the x-axis of the graph. I know that I have to start off with 225 s at 0°C, and then keep the line flat until about 1403 s, but I don't know what numbers to use from there...

any help would be appreciated :)
Thanks.
 
Attachments
  • upload_2016-5-26_18-58-27.png
    upload_2016-5-26_18-58-27.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 558
Physics news on Phys.org
Evangeline101 said:

Homework Statement


View attachment 101286

Homework Equations


equation with each part.

The Attempt at a Solution


I did part a) b) and c) on my own:
View attachment 101288

View attachment 101289

Part d:
I am having trouble at this part. I understand how to draw the heat curve but I am confused on what numbers I should use for the x-axis of the graph. I know that I have to start off with 225 s at 0°C, and then keep the line flat until about 1403 s, but I don't know what numbers to use from there...
After the ice has all melted, what does it become? If you keep adding heat to the melted ice, can't you continue to draw a curve of temperature versus time?
 
SteamKing said:
After the ice has all melted, what does it become? If you keep adding heat to the melted ice, can't you continue to draw a curve of temperature versus time?

It becomes, liquid (water), then boils, then turns to gas. I understand this part but what I don't get is what values of time should I put on the x-axis, like how long does it take for each phase to change. ex. from a water to boiling...
 
Evangeline101 said:
It becomes, liquid (water), then boils, then turns to gas. I understand this part but what I don't get is what values of time should I put on the x-axis, like how long does it take for each phase to change. ex. from a water to boiling...
Well, what information do you need to complete the curve? Assume the heater is still putting out 70 W.
 
I finally figured it out! :biggrin:
Here is my graph:

upload_2016-5-27_20-33-47.png


Thanks so much for the help! :smile: