upload_2016-5-26_18-56-45.png

Homework Equations

equation with each part.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did part a) b) and c) on my own:
upload_2016-5-26_18-59-15.png

upload_2016-5-26_18-59-39.png

Part d:
I am having trouble at this part. I understand how to draw the heat curve but I am confused on what numbers I should use for the x-axis of the graph. I know that I have to start off with 225 s at 0°C, and then keep the line flat until about 1403 s, but I don't know what numbers to use from there...

any help would be appreciated :)
Thanks.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

View attachment 101286

Homework Equations

equation with each part.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did part a) b) and c) on my own:
View attachment 101288

View attachment 101289

Part d:
I am having trouble at this part. I understand how to draw the heat curve but I am confused on what numbers I should use for the x-axis of the graph. I know that I have to start off with 225 s at 0°C, and then keep the line flat until about 1403 s, but I don't know what numbers to use from there...
After the ice has all melted, what does it become? If you keep adding heat to the melted ice, can't you continue to draw a curve of temperature versus time?

After the ice has all melted, what does it become? If you keep adding heat to the melted ice, can't you continue to draw a curve of temperature versus time?
It becomes, liquid (water), then boils, then turns to gas. I understand this part but what I don't get is what values of time should I put on the x-axis, like how long does it take for each phase to change. ex. from a water to boiling....

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It becomes, liquid (water), then boils, then turns to gas. I understand this part but what I don't get is what values of time should I put on the x-axis, like how long does it take for each phase to change. ex. from a water to boiling....
Well, what information do you need to complete the curve? Assume the heater is still putting out 70 W.

I finally figured it out! :biggrin:
Here is my graph:

upload_2016-5-27_20-33-47.png

Thanks so much for the help! :smile: