Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drinking a Glass of Wine While Studying

1. Feb 12, 2012 #1
    Has any one tried it? Do you feel that it helps you relax and focus or does it get in the way?

For others who may not know, red wine has many health benefits and it is recommended to drink a glass or two a day.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2012 #2
    Every once in a while.

4. Feb 12, 2012 #3
    You benefit every once in a while is what your saying, correct?

5. Feb 12, 2012 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:wink:

I think he means he partakes every once in a while.

6. Feb 12, 2012 #5
    But I was more interested in knowing if someone felt that a glass or two of red wine got in the way of studying, had no effect, or helped. :tongue: Which would explain my confusion. :devil:

7. Feb 12, 2012 #6
    A few double vokda red bulls and I think I am the next Einstein.

(when I go over my work the next day I don't feel so clever though...)

8. Feb 12, 2012 #7
    I can't imagine studying something like math or physics with any alcohol in me, maybe if you're a writer or something, but not something quantitative.

9. Feb 12, 2012 #8
    A glass or two, doubt it has much effect. The more I drink, though, the longer it takes me to think about what I'm studying. Three or four beers has a small effect on me. The fifth one I begin to notice my thinking is quite a bit slower. Even then, though, I find myself waking up in the middle of the night. I get poorer sleep as a result.

10. Feb 12, 2012 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Solving physics or engineering problems requires me to think several steps ahead. Even a small amount of alcohol makes it difficult to do that. I'll get going down a path and then think, Wait a minute, why was I integrating that?

For me, the benefits of being relaxed don't nearly outweigh the downside of not being able to think clearly. Besides, problem solving is so enjoyable, it usually makes me very relaxed anyway, so stress isn't a big deal (unless I'm working under a hard deadline or taking an exam - then there's lots of stress!).

11. Feb 12, 2012 #10
    Alcohol gets in the way for me. If you want to relax and focus, I highly recommend doing some meditation or sensory deprivation techniques. And no, you don't have to sit with your legs crossed while humming!

Red wine is great, but even better when not trying to study.

12. Feb 12, 2012 #11

fluidistic

Gold Member

I dislike wine in the first place so I would never try.

13. Feb 12, 2012 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It might help relax, but not to focus. A glass of wine makes me sleepy, so would not help with getting any kind of work done. Don't let popular press stories fool you either. The potential health benefits of red wine are small and don't outweigh the health risks. If you eat whole grapes (with the skin on), you'll get most of the same benefits without the risk.

14. Feb 13, 2012 #13
    See, this is why sciences like biology make me incredibly angry soemtimes. Red wine is a cotentious issue in terms of its health benefits. When you see a study that says 'red wine reduces cancer' it doesn't mean that they gave wine to a test groups and followed their progress, in most cases. It's 'we dribbled this chemical, extracted from the skin of red grapes, onto a clump of cells in a laboratory and found that it did some small thing that may be construed as a benefit'. Also there are studies that also say that red wine does not have health benefits and may actually contribute to cancer. If you want to be a scientist, you should at least read these studies briefly instead of espousing weird stuff that you hear on the news. The studies are far, far from conclusive.

If it pleases you to believe that drinking wine will help you with homework, go ahead but I don't see the point of this question.

15. Feb 13, 2012 #14
    It is not recommended for many groups of people, including, but not limited to:
    -those who have had addiction issues with alcohol or other drugs
    -those with liver problems
    -pregnant women
    -those taking certain medications
    That said, if you do not have a condition that is worsened by alcohol, slowly sipping 1 glass of wine will likely neither help nor hinder your studying.

16. Feb 13, 2012 #15
    Either that, or "We made 1000 people fill out these questionnaires about their drinking habits and their health and then we ran it through this statistics package, which came up with the following correlations."

17. Feb 13, 2012 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't blame the scientists. That's NOT a conclusion from a research paper. Blame the scientifically illiterate journalists who sensationalize the story and in the process mislead the public.

18. Feb 13, 2012 #17
    Caffeine actually suposedly enhances thinking a bit unless you're terrified in which cause it makes you more nervous. I know I perform better after a small amount of caffeine than without it.

Wine on the other hand makes you sleepy and alcohol sedates the thinking brain and supposedly causes sludging in the blood vessels (very interesting study quite a while ago. I think they looked at the blood vessels in the eye - University of South Carolina did it) Wine seems like a poor choice during studying. I've read that red grape juice works just as well. I wonder about a comparison between red and dark blue grapes???

The other thing I've observed is that I can not study physics or mathematics when I'm sleep deprived. Just can't do it. But I can study history or lit. Anyone else notice this??

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  19. Feb 13, 2012 #18
    I like to be somewhat relaxed when starting on a difficult problem, so drinking a cup of tea sometimes helps a great deal. Wine, not so much. Like some other people here have said, alcohol + analytical thinking != good idea.

Also, @Moonbear, which health risks of wine are you talking about? As far as I'm aware, ethanol (which is the type of alcohol found in red wine), when consumed in moderation, is no bad thing. Or am I mistaken?

@netgypsy, I don't think it's particularly surprising that you can still study history or lit. Me, I've never tried to learn such a thing, but since most of this kind of learning is about trying to remember facts and technicalities, you will probably remember *something* even when sleep-deprived. Studying physics or math, however, requires you to solve problems. And solving problems when sleep-deprived == l'infern. I experience the same thing when I'm really hungry. While I can still force myself to do something simple such as reading and trying to remember, performing more complex operations gets annoying.

20. Feb 13, 2012 #19
    I'm studying programming and I don't care for alcohol while I'm working on something, it inhibits my thought process and slows me down.

Coffee, on the other hand! :P

21. Feb 13, 2012 #20

turbo

Gold Member

In engineering school, I partook of coffee, tea, and tobacco while studying. Drinking a beer or two was not productive to my studies, but maybe that was just me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook