1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Driven, Damped Oscillator; Plot x(t)/A

1. Oct 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is long so I will post the whole thing but ask only for help on part C.

The steady-state motion of a damped oscillator driven by an applied force F0 cos(ωt) is given by xss(t) = A cos(ωt + φ).
    Consider the oscillator which is released from rest at t = 0. Its motion must satisfy x(0) = 0 and v(0) = 0. After a very long time, we expect that x(t) = xss(t). To satisfy these conditions we can take as the solution
    x(t) = xss(t) + xtr(t),
    where xtr(t) is a solution to the equation of motion of the free damped oscillator.

(A) Show that if xss(t) satisfies the equation of motion for the forced damped oscillator, then so does x(t) = xss(t) + xtr(t), where xtr(t) satisfies the equation of motion of the free damped oscillator.

(B) Sketch the resulting motion for the case that the oscillator is driven at resonance (i.e., ω = ω0 where ω02=k/m) with b=mω0.

(C) Choose the arbitrary constants in xtr(t) so that x(t) satisfies the initial conditions, assuming that the oscillator is driven at resonance with b=mω0. Hand in an accurate graph of x(t)/A.

2. Relevant equations

x(t)/A=sin(w0t)-[itex]\frac{2}{sqrt(3)}[/itex]sin([itex]\frac{sqrt(3)}{2}[/itex]w0t)e-w_0t/2

A=[itex]\frac{F_0}{mw_0^2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not quite sure what I am being asked for. How do I pick the constants in xtr(t)? Does it matter what I use or can I just plug in 1 for all of them and plot the result? Doing that yields a plot that seems to exhibit the characteristics that a driven, damped oscillator would.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2016 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The response of the system when ##b=m\omega_0## is given by
    $$x(t) = e^{-\omega_0 t/2}\left[c_1 \cos \left(\frac{\sqrt{3}\omega_0 t}{2}\right) + c_2 \sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{3}\omega_0 t}{2}\right)\right] + \frac{F_0}{m[(\omega_0^2-\omega^2)^2 + \omega_0^2\omega^2]}[(\omega_0^2-\omega^2)\cos \omega t + \omega_0\omega \sin \omega t]$$ where ##c_1## and ##c_2## are arbitrary constants to be determined by the initial conditions. At resonance, we have ##\omega=\omega_0##, and the solution simplifies to
    $$x(t) = e^{-\omega_0 t/2}\left[c_1 \cos \left(\frac{\sqrt{3}\omega_0 t}{2}\right) + c_2 \sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{3}\omega_0 t}{2}\right)\right] + \frac{F_0}{m\omega_0^2}\sin \omega_0 t.$$ The condition ##x(0)=0## requires that ##c_1=0##. Taking the derivative of x(t), we get
    $$v(t) = c_2e^{-\omega_0 t/2}\left[-\frac{\omega_0}{2}\sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{3}\omega_0 t}{2}\right) + \frac{\sqrt{3}\omega_0}{2} \cos \left(\frac{\sqrt{3}\omega_0 t}{2}\right)\right] + \frac{F_0}{m\omega_0}\cos \omega_0 t.$$ The condition ##v(0)=0## requires that
    $$\frac{\sqrt{3}c_2\omega_0}{2} + \frac{F_0}{m\omega_0} = 0.$$ Solving for ##c_2## gives
    $$c_2 = -\frac{2F_0}{\sqrt{3}m\omega_0^2}.$$ The solution is therefore
    $$x(t) = \frac{F_0}{m\omega_0^2}\left[\sin \omega_0 t - \frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}\sin\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\omega_0 t\right)\right].$$ To plot the function ##x(t)/A## where ##A = \frac{F_0}{m\omega_0^2}##, define ##T_0 = \frac{2\pi}{\omega_0}## and plot in units of ##T_0##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted