1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Driven simple pendulum - system of first order ODEs

1. Nov 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have a driven pendulum described by the following differential equation:

[itex] \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} = \frac{-g}{l}\sin(\theta) + C\cos(\theta)\sin(\Omega t) [/itex]

I need to turn this second order differential equation into a system of first order differential equations (then use a computer to solve the first orders, but that's not the problem here).

2. Relevant equations

None needed

3. The attempt at a solution

We are told to use some numeric values: l = 10cm, g = 9.81m/s^2, capital omega = 5/s, C = 2/s^2, and we are told to turn the equation into a dimensionless equation using the following notation:

[itex] \omega^2 = g/l [/itex]

[itex] \beta = \frac{\Omega}{\omega} [/itex]

[itex] \gamma = \frac{C}{\omega} [/itex]

[itex] x= \omega t [/itex]

Now, putting these into the ODE gives

[itex] \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} = \omega^2\sin(\theta) + \omega^2\gamma\cos(\theta)\sin(\beta x) [/itex]

But, the only way I can think of turning this into a system of first order ODEs is by using some dummy variable, y.

In other words, let

[itex] \frac{d\theta}{dt} = y [/itex]

and

[itex] \frac{dy}{dt} = \omega^2\sin(\theta) + \omega^2\gamma\cos(\theta)\sin(\beta x) [/itex]

Is there no way to get it all in terms of theta and x?

EDIT:
    I accidentally posted this before it was complete because I hit the "enter" key. Is there a way to turn this feature off? I don't want to get into trouble over posting something which doesn't fit with the rules.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean? You had it as a system including only theta and t and you rewrite it as a system of two first order equations. That necessarily has to involve another dependent variable, one you decided to call y. It is unclear why you introduce x unless you want a dimensionless number, but then you should replace all occurences of t with x and not mix the notation.

4. Nov 24, 2015 #3
    Yeah, my thinking is the same and I think I just need to leave it at that (besides, numerically solving that system results in a graph which looks sensible).

But there is a reason why I need it in terms of x - a later part of the question is that it asks for a plot of theta against [itex] \frac{d\theta}{dx} [/itex], but the solution is for theta as a function of time. Also, it's a numerical solution - I don't actually know what theta is in analytical form so I can't just differentiate it with respect to x by hand.

My thinking is this:
    I have the quantity x = omega * t. What If I just do [itex] dx = \omega dt [/itex], giving [itex] \frac{1}{\omega} dx = dt [/itex] and just substitute that into the system? I'm going to try that now.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  5. Nov 25, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you heard of the chain rule?

6. Dec 1, 2015 #5
    Yes.

Also I tried to solve this entirely in terms of theta and x, as I said I would above, but it was pointless since the only way to get Python to numerically solve this is to tell it that x is defined as omega * t, then give t values. So obviously it gave the same thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted