1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drop a stone in a well - Waves problem

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You drop a stone from rest into a well that is 7.35 m deep. How long does it take before you
    hear the splash?

d=7.35 m
    v=343 m/s (because the disturbance is air molecules and the medium is air not water)

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]d=\dfrac{1}{2}gt_{1}^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\lambda=4d[/itex] and [itex]v=\lambda f[/itex] and we know that f is [itex]f=\dfrac{1}{T}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The time taken for the stone to drop in water:
    [itex]t_{1}=\sqrt{\dfrac{2d}{g}}=1.22 s[/itex]

The time taken for the reflected wave to make it outside the well
    [itex]v=\dfrac{4d}{T}[/itex]
    So, [itex]T=\dfrac{4d}{v}=\dfrac{4(7.35)}{343}=0.0857 s[/itex]

Finally,
    [itex]t_{total}=t_{1}+t_{2} = 1.22 s + 0.0857 s = 1.3 s[/itex]

However this is wrong!! the answer is 1.24 seconds. What am i doing wrong?

My first initial thought is to think of the well as an open-closed tube. When those relevant equations are applied to a open-closed tube I get the wrong answer. Why is thinking of the well as a open-closed tube wrong ?

1. Is it because a little portion of the well at the bottom is filled with water so that the ENTIRE well is not actually 7.35 m ? OR

2. Is it because we have no information about its wavelength regardless if it's a open-closed tube? OR

3. Does the wavelength calculated above does not make sense ? (e.g. How can the wavelength be 29.4 m when the well itself is 7.35 m ? (Assuming the well as a long cylinder)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2011 #2
    You have the time for the stone to fall and hit the water correct = 1.22s
    This makes a noise and the sound has to travel to the top of the well, 7.35m and the speed of sound = 343m/s. Calculate the time taken for sound to travel this distance.
    How much time has passed since you dropped the stone??

4. Nov 19, 2011 #3
    But what about the wavelength of the sound wave? I can't change the wavelenght.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook