1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dropped out of grad school don't know what to do.

1. Oct 23, 2014 #1
    First things first. I'd give anything to stay in grad school. I never have had an issue with classes and I study on my own all the time. I also still take classes through MOOCs. In fact, I actually dropped out so I could do more physics. I was working in a lab and things were just going nowhere. It just felt like a huge wast of time and I decided to stop chasing the carrot.

However, now I just can't go back to school and I need a job. Debts are creeping up and I want to start a carreer before I'm thirty. Yet now I'm in a bit of a pickle. At 28, I'm too old for internships and all of the jobs require 3-5 year experience. Also, since I sort of "vanished" from grad school, I don't really have any connections. The only way of breaking this is going into something related to computer science since I can always improve my programming skills on my own.

I feel, however, that there is something I'm not doing. I guess I see colleagues and former students work for some pretty awesome companies and I wonder what their doing. Also I look at statistic for people with technical degrees and the unemployment is very low. However, I have this black hole in my resume that I don't know how to get out of.

Also I'm wondering. Are there carreers that deal with the theoretical aspect of physics over experimental/engineering stuff? I have a part time job as an online physics tutor. Today I helped an engineering work through a problem involving some really hairy vector calculus. If I could just do that all day I'd be in heaven. I know Data Science involves linear algebra which is why I'm looking into it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2014 #2
    Would it be possible for you to contact your department chair and let him/her know about your situation and possibly start research with another professor?

4. Oct 23, 2014 #3
    Unless they paid me to do research, it just isn't worth giving up my part time job.

5. Oct 23, 2014 #4
    If you are in the US, they usually do. At any rate, it may be worth contacting them.

6. Oct 23, 2014 #5
    If you have a connection with someone who has connections, you have connections. Anyone can be a connection.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook