Help finding GR and PER grad school programs?

In summary, a student finishing their last year of undergraduate studies in physics with a math minor is looking for potential graduate schools. Their areas of interest are primarily in Gravitation and Physics Education Research, with some interest in particle physics. They are looking for a school with strong programs in both gravitation and PER, and currently have a list of potential schools including CU-Boulder, University of Washington-Seattle, Oregon State University, and UC-Santa Barbara. They are open to recommendations for other schools and have a strong academic record and GRE scores. They are unsure about the competitiveness of their school choices and are seeking advice. Additionally, the University of Maryland can be added to their list of potential schools. The student is specifically interested in theoretical study
SpiritoftheRadio
Hi Folks,

I am finishing up my last year in undergrad (physics with a math minor) and am searching for potential grad schools. My areas of interest are pretty much exclusively in Gravitation (specially theoretical study of general relativity) and Physics Education Research, with a bit of interest in particle physics too, but to a lesser degree. I am primarily interested in finding a school that has decent programs for gravitation and PER so I have time to get involved with gravitation research before I decide (my undergrad research has been in PER) and so far my list is:
CU--Boulder
University of Washington--Seattle
Oregon state university (current undergrad, mostly PER focused)
UC--Santa Barbara (Gravitation focused, no PER)

Can folks recommend me any other schools to check out? I am happy moving anywhere. My major gpa is 3.8, cumulative is 3.7, I have great letters, am great at writing essays, 157V/162Q/5.5AW GRE scores and am taking the physics GRE later this month. I would appreciate any advice on my recs if you think I should aim for more or less competitive schools, I am a first gen college student with unsupportive parents and don't really have a good means of evaluating myself or anyone to help me do it. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can include the University of Maryland in your list.

What do you mean by "theoretical study of general relativity"? Gravitational wave stuff?

1. What is GR and PER?

GR refers to General Relativity, which is a theory of gravitation that describes the laws of gravity and the behavior of objects in space. PER stands for Physics Education Research, which is a field that studies how students learn and understand physics concepts.

2. What are some top graduate programs for GR and PER?

Some top graduate programs for GR include Princeton University, University of Cambridge, and Stanford University. For PER, top programs include University of Maryland, University of Colorado Boulder, and University of Washington.

3. What qualifications are needed for admission into a GR and PER graduate program?

Typically, applicants should have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and research experience in the field. Most programs also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

4. Can I pursue both GR and PER in one graduate program?

Yes, there are some graduate programs that offer a combined focus on GR and PER. However, it is more common for students to choose one specific field for their graduate studies.

5. Are there any specific resources for finding GR and PER graduate programs?

Yes, there are several resources available such as the American Physical Society's Physics Graduate Education Directory and the American Association of Physics Teachers' Graduate Programs in Physics, Astronomy, and Education. Additionally, individual universities' websites and departmental websites often have information on their graduate programs.