1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dropping a closed loop into a magbetic field

1. Nov 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The closed loop is vertical and the magnetic field is a north and south pole such that the looped end faces the magnetic poles.

A multiple choice question answer stated that the closed loop will have a smaller acceleration than 10mls

^2 as it would experience an opposing force. But if I look at it closely, won't the 2 induced force cancel each other so it will accelerate at 10m/s^2?

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    My explanation goes like this: when it is dropped into the magnetic field, it experiences a change in magnetic flux linkage and thus there would be a current induced induced it. since there is a current flowing perpendicular to the magnetic field, by Fleming left hand rule there will be 2 forces acting on the closed loops at the two edges there are equal and opposite. Hence, this cancels out the force which allows the downwards acceleration to be still 10m/s^2.

Is there something wrong with my concept here? It seems correct to me though. I hope you guys can answer me as soon as possible cos tomorrow is my physics O level paper thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2012 #2
    do you have the answer since it's a MCQ?

Lenz's law?

4. Nov 15, 2012 #3
    The answer is that the acceleration is less than 10m/s^2. But since they cancel out so shouldn't it be 10m/s^2?

5. Nov 15, 2012 #4
    Read about lenz's law about opposing induced force. It satisfied the answer and in actual fact, they do not cancel out.

6. Nov 16, 2012 #5
    Why won't they cancel out? Since the current is the same at both ends?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook