Dropping a package with initial velocity

In summary, the problem involves a helicopter ascending vertically at a speed of 5.30m/s and a package being dropped from a height of 100m above the Earth. Using the third equation with given values, the time it takes for the package to reach the ground is calculated to be 5.09 seconds. Another logical method using the first and second equations gives a different answer of 4.09 seconds, but this is due to a subtraction error. The correct answer is 5.09 seconds.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

A helicopter is ascending vertically with a speed of 5.30m/s . At a height of 100m above the Earth, a package is dropped from a window. How much time does it take for the package to reach the ground? [Hint: v0 for the package equals the speed of the helicopter.]

Homework Equations

1) vf2 = v02 + 2aΔx
2) vf = v0 + at
3) xf = x0 + v0t + ½(a)t2
4) Quadratic Formula

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the third equation with Δx = xf - x0 = -100, v0 = 5.3 m/s and acceleration = -9.81, and the quadratic formula, I get the right answer of t = 5.09 seconds. However, I don't get why this other logical method does not work. Using equation one, I substitute v0 with 5.3, a with -9.81 and Δx with -100. This leads to vf2 = 5.32 + 2(-9.8)(-100). vf = -44.598 m/s. Plugging this value into the second equation I get -44.58 = 5.3 - 9.8t. t equals 4.09 seconds. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\frac{44.58+5.3}{9.8}=5.09[/itex] seconds

Thank you so much! I see: I subtracted incorrectly

1. What is initial velocity in the context of dropping a package?

Initial velocity is the speed at which the package is dropped from a certain height. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

2. How does initial velocity affect the final velocity of a dropped package?

The initial velocity of a dropped package determines the rate at which it accelerates towards the ground. The higher the initial velocity, the faster the package will fall and the greater the final velocity will be.

3. Does the weight or size of the package affect the initial velocity?

The weight or size of the package does not directly affect the initial velocity. However, a heavier or larger package may experience more air resistance, which can slightly decrease the initial velocity.

4. What is the formula for calculating the initial velocity of a dropped package?

The formula for calculating initial velocity is: v = √(2gh), where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² or 32 ft/s²), and h is the height from which the package is dropped.

5. How can the initial velocity of a dropped package be measured in an experiment?

The initial velocity of a dropped package can be measured using a video camera to record the package's motion and then analyzing the footage to determine the distance traveled and time taken. It can also be calculated using the formula mentioned in question 4.