Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drude model relaxation time approximation

1. Oct 25, 2014 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

In the Drude model of the free electron gas to explain the conduction of a metal, the relaxation time approximation that the electron has a collision in an infinitesimal time interval ##dt##is ##dt/\tau##. It can be shown that the mean time between collisions is ##tau##. If we choose an electron at random, the average time since the last collision is ##\tau## and the average time to the next collision is ##\tau##. The average time between the last collision and the next collision can then be shown to be ##2\tau## .
    My question is how does this agree with the fact that the mean time between collisions is in fact ##\tau##?
    So in my mind, ##\tau## is that time where we consider some interval ##[0,L]## say and divide the total number of collisions in that interval by the time taken for the particle to travel from ##0## to ##L##.
    I am thinking the 2##\tau## comes about by considering the fact that we might have a collision at ##0## and then at ##0 + \epsilon, |\epsilon| \ll L## and then maybe the next one is not until ##3L/4## and then again at ##3L/4 + \epsilon##. At random, it is more likely to see the electron in the intervals ##[0+\epsilon, 3L/4]## than it is in the intervals ##[0, 0+\epsilon]## or ##[3L/4, 3L/4 + \epsilon]##. If we apply this to a more symmetric set up then maybe this could explain the ##2\tau##, but I am not sure if this observation is helpful at all.
    Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2014 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Can anybody provide any help?

4. Oct 27, 2014 #3
    No. The time delay between two collisions is defined by τ.
    "Time before next collision" - "time since last collision" = τ. It's not more complex than that...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook