Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dry water! - Sapphire/Novec fire suppressant

1. Aug 31, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I just saw an article on TV about this new material by 3M called Novec 1230 (or Sapphire by Ansul) that looks and acts much like water, but isn't.

It's non-conducting and non-destructive. I was wondering what this material would be like to handle. I wondered how hard it would be to tell that it was not water, by, say, weight, vicosity or other.

But they mention that it evaporates about 25x faster than water. It seems to me, that it would appear and behave very much like alcohol - it would be cold to the touch and would noticeably evaporate like alcohol does.

I wonder if it is aromatically volatile like alcohol (though they seem to have no problem with large, open containers of the stuff.)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2006 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Aug 31, 2006 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I should have added that I have been looking around a bit, but I haven't found anything that talks about what it's like to handle or touch.

5. Aug 31, 2006 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Normal boiling point is 49 C --- that give you any hints? Be about like chloroform. Plus, it might be absorbed fairly rapidly through the skin --- plus, the health and safety hazards are downplayed for marketing purposes --- plus, you throw any fluorinated organic compound into a fire you get HF. Does it burn if mixed with air? No. Does it evaporate and carry off a lot of combustion heat? Yes. Enough to quench enough different fire types to make it useful? Yes. Do you want to be in the room with it? No.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?