DSolve output with unexpected parameters

In summary: Use NDSolve if you want numerical values.In summary, the conversation is about using DSolve in Mathematica to solve a simple equation, but the output is not easily understandable. The user is confused about the use of #1 and & in the context and does not know how to obtain the function from the inverse function. They are advised to check the documentation for more information and to use NDSolve for numerical values.
CAF123
Gold Member
I'm trying to solve a relatively simple equation with DSolve in Mathematica. The equation I'm trying to solve along with the output from mathematica is shown
Code:
In[1]:=DSolve[x*y'[x] == -b0*y[x]^2 - b1*y[x]^3, y[x], x]
Out[1]:= 
{{y[x] -> 
   InverseFunction[-((b1 Log[#1])/b0^2) + (b1 Log[b0 + b1 #1])/b0^2 - 
       1/(b0 #1) &][C[1] - Log[x]]}}

This output is more or less useless to me because a) I don't know what #1 or & means in this context and b) I don't understand why it returns the inverse function and how I can then proceed to obtain the function. Can anyone illuminate me?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
CAF123 said:
I don't know what #1 or & means in this context
Did you check the documentation? When you don't know what something means then the documentation is the best place to start:
http://reference.wolfram.com/language/tutorial/PureFunctions.html

CAF123 said:
I don't understand why it returns the inverse function and how I can then proceed to obtain the function.
The inverse function is the solution. The inverse function is itself a function, it is used in certain circumstances when there is not a closed form expression. For example, if you need the inverse of x^2 then the inverse function is Sqrt[x], but when there is no nice expression then it just leaves it as the inverse function.

If you want to see how the function behaves, just plot it.

1. What is DSolve and how does it work?

DSolve is a function in the Wolfram Language that is used to solve differential equations. It works by taking in a differential equation and returning a general solution that satisfies the equation.

2. What does it mean when the DSolve output contains unexpected parameters?

When the DSolve output contains unexpected parameters, it means that the solution to the differential equation contains variables or constants that were not explicitly given in the original equation. These parameters can arise from the integration process used by DSolve.

3. How can I determine the meaning of the unexpected parameters in the DSolve output?

The meaning of the unexpected parameters in the DSolve output can be determined by carefully examining the original differential equation and the general solution provided by DSolve. These parameters may represent physical constants, initial conditions, or other variables that were not explicitly stated in the equation.

4. Can unexpected parameters in the DSolve output affect the accuracy of the solution?

No, the unexpected parameters in the DSolve output do not affect the accuracy of the solution. They are simply additional variables that may have been introduced during the integration process and do not affect the validity of the solution.

5. How can I simplify the DSolve output to remove unexpected parameters?

Simplifying the DSolve output to remove unexpected parameters can be done by using the Simplify function in the Wolfram Language. This function can simplify the general solution by eliminating any unnecessary parameters and providing a more concise form of the solution.