DSolve; Lorentz Force equations of motion

In summary, DSolve does not seem to be able to produce the equations of motion that are needed for the problem given.
KleZMeR
Hi,

I am trying to use DSolve in Mathematica 6.0.1.0, in order to find equations of motion (x[t], y[t]) from second-order differential equations. I have looked through much documentation, and attempted numerous codes to figure this out, but get many errors or the same answer every time. This is my first Mathematica course. I derived the second order equations by hand, which is found in many books.
I do not see how the equations of motion I am to show, x[t], y[t], are produced by DSolve.
Below is stated problem and attempt.

Electron injected with initial velocity Vo into crossed field; E=Ey, B=Bz,
and: w=omega, Vd=(Ey/Bz)
Also given: w=1, Vox=Voy=2, Vd=1, (I do not know why these are given, unless they are initial conditions, and even so, they still do not change my outcome)

a) Use F = q (E + V x B) and show by hand that motion is governed by these equations (I did this):

x''[t] + (w^2)x = (w^2)*Vd*t - w*Voy

y''[t] + (w^2)y = -(w^2)*Vd*t + w*Vox

b) Use DSolve to show that the solutions to these equations are:

x[t] = (1/w)*(Vox - Vd)*sin(wt) + (Voy/w)*(cos(wt) - 1) + Vd*t

y[t] = (Voy/w)*sin(wt) - (1/w)*(Vox - Vd)*(cos(wt) - 1)

So I am having trouble with part b)... I am sure that I am missing much in my attempt at solving it, but all other inputs either give me an error, or do not change the output, any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• problem.pdf
    106.1 KB · Views: 305
Physics news on Phys.org
DSolve[x''[t] + Subscript[\[Omega], c]^2 x[t] ==
Subscript[\[Omega], c]^2 Subscript[v, d]*t -
Subscript[\[Omega], c]*Subscript[v, 0], x[t], t]i did it and it works

Try restarting the kernel (Evaluation - Quit Kernal - Local (or other)) and just running that one line.

Awsome! Thank you so much K.J. !

I would also like to replace the two constants of integration(C[1], C[2]) with two chosen variables

If I include this in DSolve:

{C[1] -> Vox, C[2] -> Voy},

it returns that I can not use these for variables.

I have also found a GeneratedParameters-> function, but it does not work either,.. and if I'm correct, the GeneratedParameters-> Module{C[1], C[2]..&} function is only to ensure that C[] values are all unique, and does not change their representation.

And last, these two equations of motion, with initial conditions, don't seem to give a parametric plot, just an empty axis. I am attaching this attempt at the parametric plot. This form does plot a different set of equations, so perhaps it is the equation representation,

Again, any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled-1.pdf
    164.1 KB · Views: 369

1. What is the Lorentz force equation and what does it represent?

The Lorentz force equation is a mathematical expression that describes the force exerted on a charged particle in an electromagnetic field. It takes into account the electric and magnetic fields present in the environment and determines the direction and magnitude of the force on the particle.

2. How is the Lorentz force equation used in physics?

The Lorentz force equation is one of the fundamental equations used in electromagnetism and is applied in various areas of physics, such as particle accelerators, plasma physics, and astrophysics. It is also an important component in the study of electricity and magnetism, and is often used to explain phenomena like the motion of charged particles in a magnetic field.

3. What is the role of DSolve in solving the Lorentz force equations of motion?

DSolve is a function in Mathematica that is used to numerically solve differential equations, including the Lorentz force equations of motion. It allows for the determination of the position, velocity, and acceleration of a charged particle in an electromagnetic field over time, making it a valuable tool for studying the behavior of charged particles in various environments.

4. Can the Lorentz force equation be simplified for specific scenarios?

Yes, the Lorentz force equation can be simplified for specific scenarios, such as when the particle is moving in a uniform magnetic field or in a vacuum. In these cases, certain terms in the equation can be eliminated, making it easier to solve and analyze the particle's motion.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lorentz force equation?

While the Lorentz force equation is a powerful tool in explaining the behavior of charged particles in an electromagnetic field, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the particle is point-like, does not interact with other particles, and moves at non-relativistic speeds. These limitations must be taken into consideration when applying the equation in different scenarios.