DX12 Details: What to Expect from the Next Generation of DirectX

• Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    nvidia
In summary, DirectX 12 is expected to be featured in future graphics cards from AMD and Nvidia in 2014. There is currently not much information available about its potential features, but it is expected to bring significant improvements to PC gaming. The industry is also shifting towards improving portability rather than high-end gaming rigs. In the next few years, computer architectures are expected to change, potentially making current benchmarks obsolete. However, it is uncertain when these changes will occur and what their impact will be.
Kutt
I read that DirectX 12 will be featured in the future generation of graphics cards from AMD and Nvidia in circa 2014.

Are there any details yet about what might be included in the next version of DirectX? DX10 was a huge leap from DX9, while DX11 was essentially DX10 with bug fixes, better coding, and tesselation.

Hopefully DX12 will deliver something that will awe us PC gamers much like Crysis did with DX10. Do I smell a CryEngine 4?

Computer science news on Phys.org

Yeah early 2014 is the best guess for now. A mature DX11 game is looking pretty nice right now. DX12 will surely be a wonder. We're looking at least 4 years before a mature DX12 game is released though. I can't really find any specs or details. Once Windows 8 is released perhaps more will be known.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yeah early 2014 is the best guess for now. A mature DX11 game is looking pretty nice right now. DX12 will surely be a wonder. We're looking at least 4 years before a mature DX12 game is released though. I can't really find any specs or details. Once Windows 8 is released perhaps more will be known.

Along with the 22nm HD 8xxx and GTX 7xx series graphics cards from AMD/Nvidia.

With the addition of direct compute Dx 11 is a mature rasterized graphics API and even developers are wondering what other major features could be added. Things like tessellation are not fundamentally new features, but refinements of old ones. As disappointing as it might be all of the trends in the industry right now are towards improving portables rather than high end gaming rigs and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if that's the biggest benefits that dx 12 brings to the table.

However, in the next few years you can expect computer architectures to change radically and when that happens all bets are off. Intel's new Haswell has a ton of ram added right on the chip using a transposer to double it's graphics punch while using only 10w and they've been suggesting that as a result system ram may become history. We'll just have to wait and see what happens when the dust settles, but it's pretty safe to say computers will never be the same again. The ability to add ridiculous amounts of even nonvolatile memory right onto the chips themselves with transfer speeds up to 1Tb/s is a game changer.

Last edited:
wuliheron said:
However, in the next few years you can expect computer architectures to change radically and when that happens all bets are off. Intel's new Haswell has a ton of ram added right on the chip using a transposer to double it's graphics punch while using only 10w and they've been suggesting that as a result system ram may become history. We'll just have to wait and see what happens when the dust settles, but it's pretty safe to say computers will never be the same again. The ability to add ridiculous amounts of even nonvolatile memory right onto the chips themselves with transfer speeds up to 1Tb/s is a game changer.

You should write a blog. I'd be very interested in reading! :)

I think you're right. Graphics will slow for ultra rigs and focus on mobility.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You should write a blog. I'd be very interested in reading! :)

I think you're right. Graphics will slow for ultra rigs and focus on mobility.

I know nothing about blogging and I'm not sure there's all that much more to say. For ten years now the industry has been struggling to recover from being forced to switch to multicore processing. It has been the quiet before the storm and will last at least another two years. Sure, there are efforts to produce a 100ghz graphene chip within five years and IBM's neuromorphic chip within ten, but when those might reach the commercial market is anyone's guess. For now we're just going to have to wait and see what radically new computer architecture Intel comes up with and about we can say for sure is it will make all our current benchmarks obsolete.

Related to DX12 Details: What to Expect from the Next Generation of DirectX

What is DX12 and why is it important?

DX12, also known as DirectX 12, is the latest version of Microsoft's graphics API (Application Programming Interface) used for developing and running video games and other multimedia applications on Windows-based systems. It is important because it allows developers to have more control over the hardware, resulting in improved performance and graphics quality.

What are the key features of DX12?

Some of the key features of DX12 include reduced CPU overhead, improved multi-threading capabilities, support for new hardware features such as asynchronous compute, and better utilization of hardware resources.

What improvements can we expect from DX12 compared to previous versions?

DX12 is expected to bring significant improvements in performance and efficiency, particularly for multi-core processors. It also supports newer hardware features that were not available in previous versions, resulting in better graphics quality and more immersive gaming experiences.

Will DX12 be compatible with older hardware?

No, DX12 is only compatible with newer hardware that supports the necessary features. However, some games may have a DX12 mode that can still be run on older hardware using a compatibility layer.

When can we expect to see DX12 in action?

DX12 has already been released and is currently being used in many popular games. However, it may take some time for developers to fully utilize its capabilities and for hardware manufacturers to release products optimized for DX12.