Dymanics, F=ma, F function of position & velocity (it's really important)

In summary, the proposed design for an energy- absorbing bumper for a car exerts a decelerating force of magnitude bs + cv on the car when it collides with a rigid obstacle, where s is the distance the car travels from the point where it contacts the obstacle and v is the car's velocity.
Wattever

Homework Statement

The proposed design for an energy- absorbing bumper for a car exerts a decelerating force of magnitude bs + cv on the car when it collides with a rigid obstacle, where s is the distance the car travels from the point where it contacts the obstacle and v is the car's velocity. Thus the force exerted on the car by the bumper is a function of the car's position and velocity.

(a) Suppose that at t = 0 the car contacts the obstacle with initial velocity u. Prove that the car's position is given as a function of time by s (equation provided below). To do this, first show that this equation satisfies Newton's second law. Then confirm that it satisfies the initial conditions s = 0 and v = u at t = 0

(there's also (b) but maybe I could do it by myself if this is solved)

Homework Equations

F = bs + cv

[tex] s = \frac{u}{2h}[e^{-(d-h)t} - e^{-(d+h)t}] [/tex]

[tex] d = \frac{c}{2m} [/tex]

[tex] h = \sqrt{d^2 - \frac{b}{m}} [/tex]

b and c are constants

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I first tried substituting with s in bs + cv to try and simplify it to ma then I realized there wouldn't be an a in the left hand side of the equation, so I substituted a with dv/dt and I integrated both sides, but I was still unable to simplify it (because of the es!) - (Edit: I obviously couldn't have integrated correctly because I can't separate the variables). Is this even the way to go about it? I tried starting with bs + cv = ma and again substituting with a = v dv/ds but I was unable to separate the variables. Please help? It's important.
I also tried differentiating s with respect to time and then substituting v in bs + cv with the result, but I still can't simplify.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wattever said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I first tried substituting with s in bs + cv to try and simplify it to ma then I realized there wouldn't be an a in the left hand side of the equation

That seems a bit silly, because you would have

[tex] a = \frac{d^2s}{dt^2} [/tex]

on the right hand side.

Last edited:
I was trying with a = v dv/ds, couldn't separate the variables.
Edit: No sorry, first time I tried a = dv/dt, and I'd already substituted s with f(t) so there was no s in the right hand side. I probably did something wrong, because I still can't separate the variables.

So how do you solve it in a way that's not silly?!

The equation of motion you need to solve is:

[tex]
m\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}=bs+cv=bs+c \frac{ds}{dt} \Rightarrow m\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}-c \frac{ds}{dt}-bs=0[/tex]

Does this differential equation look more familiar?

Edit: Reading your question again you do not have to solve this yourself. All you have to do is check if the given solution is a solution to the differential equation given above given the boundary values in your problem.

Wattever said:
So how do you solve it in a way that's not silly?!

Just what I said. Acceleration is the second derivative of the position function, which you have been given already.

Thanks a lot, I get it now... But I still can't do it :(
Just to make sure this is what I'm supposed to be doing, I get v and a then I simplify this

[tex]
m\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}-c \frac{ds}{dt}-bs
[/tex]

And then the co-efficients of each e are supposed to add up to zero, right? They don't, I spent hours yesterday doing it over and over by hand, and today on CAS and it's not zero. The co-efficient of

[tex] e^{ht-dt}[/tex]

is

[tex] \frac{bu}{2\sqrt{\frac{c^2}{4m^2}-\frac{b}{m}}} + cu - \frac{\sqrt{\frac{c^2}{4m^2}-\frac{b}{m}}mu}{2} - \frac{3uc^2}{8\sqrt{\frac{c^2}{4m^2}-\frac{b}{m}}m} [/tex]

I realize this is kinda trivial but somehow my grade in introductory mechanics is hanging on it. What am I missing?

It worked when I put -a! :D

So this is solved now, but I can't edit the title

1. What is dynamics and why is it important?

Dynamics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and the forces that act on them. It is important because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other, which has practical applications in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and biomechanics.

2. What is F=ma and how does it relate to dynamics?

F=ma is the mathematical expression of Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This equation is crucial in understanding the relationship between forces and motion in dynamic systems.

3. How is the force function related to position and velocity?

The force function, also known as the force as a function of position and velocity, describes how the force acting on an object changes with its position and velocity. It is an important concept in dynamics because it allows us to predict the motion of an object based on its initial position and velocity.

4. Can you give an example of how F function of position & velocity is applied in real life?

One example of how the force function is applied in real life is in the design of suspension systems for cars. By understanding the relationship between the force applied to the suspension and the position and velocity of the car, engineers can design a system that provides a smooth and stable ride for passengers.

5. How do we use F=ma to solve problems in dynamics?

To solve problems in dynamics, we use F=ma to determine the acceleration of an object and then use kinematic equations to calculate its position and velocity at different points in time. This allows us to predict the motion of the object and understand the forces acting on it.