Dynamic reaction versus Coriolis acceleration of the disk

<< Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown >>

I have mind boggling problem, trying to distinguish between Dynamic reaction versus Coriolis acceleration of thin hoop.

Problem: A thin, hoop of mass m and radius r spins at the constant rate ω 1 about an axle held by a fork-ended vertical rod, which rotates at the constant rate ω 2. The mass of spokes and spindle are negligible.

1. Determine Coriolis acceleration of point P at the edge of the hoop, when point P is aligned with vertical axis of the rod.

2. Determine acceleration produced by gyroscopic couple of the hoop on axle held by a fork-ended vertical rod, where support of the axle by the rod equals to radius of point P on each side of the hoop.

To solve Coriolis I am using equation ac = 2 omega1 omega2 *r.

To solve acceleration of gyroscopic couple I am using C = I omega1 omega2 / r, where mass to compute inertia = 1kg.

The question is:

Why is Coriolis acceleration doubled in comparison with gyroscopic acceleration? Both are causing the same effect of force and torque consequentially.

Where do i have problem in my calculations?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

<< Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown >>

I have mind boggling problem, trying to distinguish between Dynamic reaction versus Coriolis acceleration of thin hoop.

Problem: A thin, hoop of mass m and radius r spins at the constant rate ω 1 about an axle held by a fork-ended vertical rod, which rotates at the constant rate ω 2. The mass of spokes and spindle are negligible.

1. Determine Coriolis acceleration of point P at the edge of the hoop, when point P is aligned with vertical axis of the rod.

2. Determine acceleration produced by gyroscopic couple of the hoop on axle held by a fork-ended vertical rod, where support of the axle by the rod equals to radius of point P on each side of the hoop.

To solve acceleration of gyroscopic couple I am using C = I omega1 omega2 / r, where mass to compute inertia = 1kg.

The question is:

Why is Coriolis acceleration doubled in comparison with gyroscopic acceleration? Both are causing the same effect of force and torque consequentially.

I am working on some calculations for my RC model. Wel

The question is:

The main problem was, that I did not understand the Moment Copule wich is by definition: "Couple is a system of two forces which are equal in magnitude, opposite in direction and have parallel lines of action."