Dynamics and Kinematics Interview Question Examples

In summary, the conversation revolved around a teacher conducting an interview to test students' knowledge on Dynamics and Kinematics. The student expressed a desire to prepare for the interview and asked for questions to test their understanding of conservative and non-conservative forces, displacement, forces on a moving vehicle, and interpreting graphs related to velocity, distance, and weight. The conversation also touched upon the importance of clarifying the level of understanding and the difference between mass and weight.
IbrahimA
So, my teacher is going to do almost like an interview to the class, asking our knowledge about Dynamics and Kinematics, and I was wondering if I can get questions to test my knowledge in Dynamics and Kinematics to get ready for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
IbrahimA said:
So, my teacher is going to do almost like an interview to the class, asking our knowledge about Dynamics and Kinematics, and I was wondering if I can get questions to test my knowledge in Dynamics and Kinematics to get ready for it.
Can you give examples of a conservative force and a non-conservative force? Why is the difference important to understand?

berkeman said:
Can you give examples of a conservative force and a non-conservative force? Why is the difference important to understand?

I've legit never heard of a conservative force, I don't think we ever learned it.

IbrahimA said:
I've legit never heard of a conservative force, I don't think we ever learned it.

Then maybe, rather than posting a general question on your first post that encapsulated ALL of the known realm of mechanics and dynamics, how about you clarify at what level is this at? You need to remember that we can't read minds, and we have no idea the scope of what you are supposed to know, based simply on what you have written so far.

Zz.

Likes berkeman
I travel the entire length from LA to New York and back to my starting point. What is my displacement.

You are sitting in a car at 50mph and go around a bend, using Newton's laws describe the forces on yourself and the vehicle.

What does the area under a velocity time graph give.

What does the slope of a distance time graph give.What does a horizontal line on a velocity time graph mean.

Explain how mass and weight are different.

What is your weight, how many g's are you experiencing sitting on a chair.

Etc

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between dynamics and kinematics?

Dynamics is the study of how objects move and the forces that cause them to move, while kinematics is the study of the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. Can you give an example of a kinematics problem?

An example of a kinematics problem is calculating the velocity of a ball rolling down a ramp without considering the forces acting on the ball.

3. How is acceleration related to dynamics and kinematics?

Acceleration is a concept that is related to both dynamics and kinematics. In dynamics, acceleration is caused by forces acting on an object, while in kinematics, acceleration is used to describe the rate of change of an object's velocity.

4. What is the difference between linear and angular motion?

Linear motion is when an object moves in a straight line, while angular motion is when an object moves in a circular or rotational path. Both linear and angular motion can be described using dynamics and kinematics principles.

5. How are dynamics and kinematics used in real-world applications?

Dynamics and kinematics are used in many real-world applications, such as designing vehicles, predicting the motion of celestial bodies, and understanding the forces involved in sports activities. They are also used in engineering to design and optimize machinery and structures.