Dynamics: planar kinetics of a rigid body (impulse and momentum)

In summary, the problem involves a spool with a weight of 300N and a radius of gyration of 0.45 m. A cord is wrapped around its inner hub and a horizontal force of 50N is applied to one end. The goal is to determine the spool's angular velocity after 4 seconds, assuming it rolls without slipping. To solve this, moments are taken about the centre of rotation (A) to avoid the torque of the friction force at point O. The solution is found by equating the torque of P about A with the total moment of inertia and angular velocity of the spool. The final answer is ω = 1.94 rad/s.
silentwf

Homework Statement

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7379/87835960.png
[itex]r_{i}=.3 m \text{ and } r_{o}=.9 m[/itex]
The spool has a weight of 300N and a radius of gyration [itex]k_{O}[/itex] = .45 m. A cord is wrapped around its inner hub and the end subjected to a horizontal force P = 50N. Determine the spool's angular velocity in 4seconds starting from rest. Assume the spool rolls without slipping.

Homework Equations

[itex]\int_{0}^{t}{P\cdot r_{i}}{dt} = mv_{O}r_{i} + I_{O}\omega[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\left \{ \begin{matrix}\int_{0}^{4}{50 \cdot 0.3}{dt} = \frac{300}{9.81}\cdot v_{O}\cdot0.9 + \frac{300}{9.81}\cdot 0.45^{2} \cdot \omega\\v_{O}=0.9\omega\end{matrix}[/itex]
Solving the two equations i get [itex]\omega = 1.94 \text{rad/s}[/itex]

The book provides the solution as follows
[itex]\left \{ \begin{matrix}
50(0.9 - 0.3)4 = \frac{300}{9.81}v_{O}\cdot 0.9+\frac{300}{9.81}\cdot.45^{2}\omega \\
v_{O}=\omega\cdot0.9 \end{matrix}[/itex]
I don't get why the book does .9 - .3 for its radius, i thought it was around point O?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi silentwf! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and an integral: ∫ :wink:)
silentwf said:
Assume the spool rolls without slipping.

[itex]\int_{0}^{t}{P\cdot r_{i}}{dt} = mv_{O}r_{i} + I_{O}\omega[/itex]

I don't get why the book does .9 - .3 for its radius, i thought it was around point O?

[STRIKE]You can't take moments about the centre of mass (O) when it is accelerating.

But you can always take moments about the centre of rotation (A).[/STRIKE]

If you take moments about the centre of mass (O), you need to take the torque of the friction force at A into account.

To avoid that, use A instead of O, so that the friction torque is zero.

So all you need is the torque of P about A, for which the distance is 0.6 :wink:

Last edited:
oops!

I've changed my mind …

the conclusion of my last post is still correct (that you must take moments about A, not about O), but the reasoning wasn't, so I've edited it. :redface:

1. What is the definition of impulse in dynamics?

Impulse in dynamics refers to the change in momentum of a rigid body over a period of time. It is represented by the product of force and the time interval over which it acts. In mathematical terms, impulse (J) is equal to the integral of force (F) with respect to time (t).

2. How is impulse related to momentum in dynamics?

In dynamics, impulse is directly proportional to momentum. This means that a larger impulse will result in a greater change in momentum, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the impulse-momentum theorem, which states that the impulse applied to an object is equal to the change in momentum of the object.

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum in dynamics?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that in a closed system, the initial momentum of the system will be equal to the final momentum, even if there are internal forces acting within the system.

4. How is angular momentum defined in planar kinetics of a rigid body?

Angular momentum in planar kinetics of a rigid body refers to the rotational equivalent of linear momentum. It is the product of the moment of inertia and angular velocity of a body. In mathematical terms, angular momentum (L) is equal to the product of moment of inertia (I) and angular velocity (ω).

5. What is the role of impulse and momentum in analyzing collisions in dynamics?

In collisions, impulse and momentum play a crucial role in determining the outcome of the collision. By using the impulse-momentum theorem, we can calculate the change in momentum of the objects involved in the collision. This allows us to analyze the forces and velocities involved and predict the resulting motion of the objects after the collision.