1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Dynamics: planar kinetics of a rigid body (impulse and momentum)

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7379/87835960.png [Broken]
    [itex]r_{i}=.3 m \text{ and } r_{o}=.9 m[/itex]
    The spool has a weight of 300N and a radius of gyration [itex]k_{O}[/itex] = .45 m. A cord is wrapped around its inner hub and the end subjected to a horizontal force P = 50N. Determine the spool's angular velocity in 4seconds starting from rest. Assume the spool rolls without slipping.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\int_{0}^{t}{P\cdot r_{i}}{dt} = mv_{O}r_{i} + I_{O}\omega[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex]\left \{ \begin{matrix}\int_{0}^{4}{50 \cdot 0.3}{dt} = \frac{300}{9.81}\cdot v_{O}\cdot0.9 + \frac{300}{9.81}\cdot 0.45^{2} \cdot \omega\\v_{O}=0.9\omega\end{matrix}[/itex]
    Solving the two equations i get [itex]\omega = 1.94 \text{rad/s}[/itex]

The book provides the solution as follows
    [itex]\left \{ \begin{matrix}
    50(0.9 - 0.3)4 = \frac{300}{9.81}v_{O}\cdot 0.9+\frac{300}{9.81}\cdot.45^{2}\omega \\
    v_{O}=\omega\cdot0.9 \end{matrix}[/itex]
    I dont get why the book does .9 - .3 for its radius, i thought it was around point O?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi silentwf! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and an integral: ∫ :wink:)
    [STRIKE]You can't take moments about the centre of mass (O) when it is accelerating.

But you can always take moments about the centre of rotation (A).[/STRIKE]

If you take moments about the centre of mass (O), you need to take the torque of the friction force at A into account.

To avoid that, use A instead of O, so that the friction torque is zero.

So all you need is the torque of P about A, for which the distance is 0.6 :wink:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  4. Jan 8, 2010 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oops!

I've changed my mind …

the conclusion of my last post is still correct (that you must take moments about A, not about O), but the reasoning wasn't, so I've edited it. :redface:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook