Dynamics question -- 3 masses on a pulley-rope system on an inclined plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 3K views
rabsta00
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
A mass m is 5kg and another mass, M=6kg. Find the acceleration of this system if the kinetic friction is 0.1 and theta = 30 degrees. Find all tensions of connecting ropes. For which values of M will the system stay in an equilibrium position?Assume that the static friction coefficient is 0.15. Disregard the mass of the pulley and ropes.
Relevant Equations
F=ma
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 12.31.31 pm.png

This image was provided, I've completed the first part of the question and got a = 4.8m/s^2 as well as T1= 24.5N and T2=34.3N. not sure about my answers though. also I don't understand the mass in static equilibrium part, can anyone explain how to solve that? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
I get a far smaller value. Please post your working.

IMG_2060.jpg

I tried a different method but ended up getting a = 4.1 which isn't much smaller.
 
rabsta00 said:
View attachment 280501
I tried a different method but ended up getting a = 4.1 which isn't much smaller.
Please take the trouble to type equations in. It makes it much easier to quote lines to comment on.
You have T1=2mg sin(θ)-mg sin(θ). How do you arrive at that?
Your calculation of the acceleration of 2m ignores the string. You just have it sliding down the slope unrestrained.