1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 masses on an incline (connected)

1. May 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the three connected objects shown in Figure P5.88. Assume first that the inclined plane is friction- less and that the system is in equilibrium. In terms of m, g, and u, find (a) the mass M and (b) the tensions T1 and T2. Now assume that the value of M is double the value found in part (a). Find (c) the acceleration of each object and (d) the tensions T1 and T2. Next, assume that the coefficient of static friction between m and 2m and the inclined plane is ms and that the system is in equilib- rium. Find (e) the maximum value of M and (f) the minimum value of M. (g) Compare the values of T2 when M has its minimum and ma

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    Efy=0
    Efx=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) 3msin@
    ( b) T1= 2mgsin@
    T2= 3mgsin@
    (c) a= 3gsin@
    ( d) T2= 6mgsin@
    T1 = 2mgsin@
    (e) 3ms + 2mgsin@/g
    (f) dont know what to do but fs less than Us.N

The problem is long and confusing need help

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2016 #2
    Solution is too long that is why I only provided the answers I got. Are the answers right or did I make a mistake

4. May 20, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It will be extremely hard to check your work with neither the diagram nor a description of the arrangement.

5. May 20, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It will be extremely hard to check your work with neither the diagram nor a description of the arrangement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted