1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Question-Parabolic Coordinates

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am told that parabolic coordinates in a plane are defined by [tex]\xi[/tex] = r + x and [tex]\eta[/tex] = r - x. after this i am then asked to show that this leads to a given expresion for the kinetic energy (if i knew x and y i could find this without a problem). From this I am then told to find the equations of motion, an expression which i find very vague. I am in fact familiar with the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalisms (loosely) but I do not know what my expression for potential energy will be in this system (if i am on the right track here). Anyway, the main problem I am having at the moment is that I am very unsure as to what "r" is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2
    Is this a two-dimensional problem (i.e. what system are you looking at)? If so, then my guess is that [tex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]. From this, you could invert the equations and then recast your Lagrangian (or Hamiltonian) in these two new coordinates (since you should know what L=T-V looks like in Cartesian coordinates already). Maybe an obvious expansion will present itself when you see it in these new variables.

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    so yeah i think this is right. so here is what i did; [tex]\xi[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}+x[/tex] and then i squared both sides to obtain [tex]\xi^{2} = 2x^{2} + y^{2} + 2x[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex] and [tex]\eta^{2} = 2x^{2} + y^{2} -2x[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex] so now that i have these equations i have been playing around with them trying to look for a way to separate out the x and the y terms so i can get x and y in terms of [tex]\xi[/tex] and [tex]\eta[/tex]. the various i have tried to do this is to add and subtract these equations to each other, each resulting in a varying degree of failure. not sure where to go from here, if i have even went about this correctly.

5. Sep 29, 2009 #4
    oops im dumb. clearly to find x i take [tex]\xi[/tex] - [tex]\eta[/tex] to find that [tex]\xi[/tex] - [tex]\eta[/tex] [tex]\ = 2x[/tex] and as such [tex]\ x = (1/2)\xi[/tex] - [tex]\eta[/tex] so i then plug in x and find that [tex]\ y =\sqrt{\xi\eta}[/tex] at which point i then showed that kinetic energy [tex]\ T=(m/8)(\xi+\eta)(\dot{\xi}^2/\xi +\dot{\eta}^2/\eta)[/tex]. the final thing that i now have to do for this problem is to write down the equations of motion. now since this is for a particle am i assuming that the potential energy is varying solely as a gravitational potential? it is not obvious to me at all. or rather should i go through the action integral formalism for this coordinate system?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook