Lagrangian equations with other kinds of constraints

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
1,257
Reaction score
522
Homework Statement
How can we express a Lagrangian for a system with a constraint that is not expressed as F(x) = 0?
Relevant Equations
N/A
When a constraint is expressed as F(x)=0, I am quite comfortable in putting such constraints into the Lagrangian. Just add the function with an undetermined multiplier, then treat the multiplier as an additional coordinate, and proceed as before.

##L = T - V + \lambda F ##

For example, you can do motion on a surface by taking the F to be a function that defines the surface. A sphere, for example, could have this.

## F(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 - R^2 = 0 ##

This is a very usual thing for studying Lagrangian dynamics, and most people study some such problem when they study Lagrangians. Not bothered about that.

I have been trying to figure out how to do something along these lines for constraints that are not expressed as some function. For example, suppose I am considering a simple ballistics problem, launching a projectile and calculating its path under gravity. The Lagrangian is just the following.

##L = \frac{1}{2} m V_x^2 + \frac{1}{2} m V_y^2 - g y ##

And the Lagrange equations are just the usual Newtonian things. ##V_x## is constant, and ##\frac{d V_y}{dt} = -g##.

Now suppose the constraint that I have is that the particle should reach a particular location. Say (Xp,Yp) as the spot the particle should pass through. I am having a very hard time expressing this in a way I could add to the Lagrangian with a multiplier. Or suppose that the constraint is that, at distance Xp, the particle must pass through a gate extending from YL to YH. This also is resisting my attempts to express it as a function that could be added to the Lagrangian with a multiplier.

I can certainly solve the equations in terms of general initial values, then solve for the required initial values to get the required end point. Or the required range of end-point values. But that is not what I am trying to do. I am trying to set things up so that there is a modified Lagrangian which has Lagrange equations that include a constraint. And the resultant set of equations have as their solution that the particle goes where it is supposed to.

I have a book: "Constrained Optimization and Lagrange Multiplier Methods" by Dimitri P. Bertsekas. It's good for numerically solving constrained systems, including inequality type problems But it does not set things up the way I would hope. Rather it casts things in a way they can be solved numerically.

Any tiny clues appreciated. Is this even possible?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm.. I think you are talking of involvement of non-holonomic constraint in Lagrange formulation. Not all non-holonomic constraint can be incoroporated in Lagrangian(cf. Goldstein).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DEvens
I'm just guessing but I don't think you can use Lagrangian multipliers. Thinking about their physical interpretation: they kind of represent the work done by the constraints to keep the object "on the right path". Here you don't have constraints you are just asking for a particular condition more like a boundary condition (i.e. the object has to be at point x,y).

DEvens said:
the particle must pass through a gate extending from YL to YH.
Maybe you can "break" the problem in two part:
1) get to the gate
2) get through the gate
But it is not what you are looking for

Again, I know very little about variational mechanics so I'm just speculating. I just wanted to share my thoughts :)