1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Question (water falling from the side of a tank)

1. Mar 28, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Dynamics Question (water falling from the side of a tank)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A large tank rests on the ground and has a water level 10 m above the ground. Water issues from a small hole in the side, 1 m below the the surface of the water. How far from the side of the tank will the water hit the ground ? Is there another height at which if a hole were drilled there, the water from it would reach the ground at the same point? Justify ur answer.

3. The attempt at a solution
    as every logical person i assumed that water falls in projectile manner so on the x -axis you have x = v(x)t where x is the position where the water hits the ground, v(x) is the x-component of velocity and t is time; on the y axis you have accelerated motion and so you have 2 eqns :

y = y0 + 1/2 gt^2 and t = v(y)/g

where v(y) is the y - component of velocity, y is the height, and y0 is the starting point.

i found the time t from here but i fail to go any further because i don't know how to get v(x) or sth that can help me find v(x).

Now this might not seem like an undergraduate problem but i am in 2nd yr and we are having sth like a general physics paper as a revision kinda thing. so this is in reality 1st yr dynamics staff. And its weird that i can't solved it because i used to be good in these. *sigh*
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Assume that the water issues from the hole horizontally.

Hints: Find the initial speed as a function of hole height (h). Then try to find the horizontal distance as a function of h.
  4. Mar 28, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi CloudDreamer7! Welcome to PF! :smile:

It can't make any difference whether there's a great big tank or just a curved pipe which finishes horizontally and which happens to be 1m from top to horizontal outlet.

In steady flow, I think it doesn't make any difference whether the water comes continuously, or comes in "bullets".

So work out the kinetic energy for a bullet of water falling 1m. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?