Dynamics vs Thermo Fluids for EE

In summary, this person is undecided about which of the two courses they should take for their electrical engineering degree and is seeking advice from others. They think that taking dynamics and physics 3 would give them a good understanding of thermodynamics, while taking thermo fluids and physics 2 would focus more on heat transfer.
stephenmw
Hello all,
I'm choosing my classes for spring semester and am unsure about which of these two classes I should pick (topic title). My major is electrical engineering and I want to hopefully go to graduate school at my current school for their micro-systems nano-systems program listed here ( http://www.graduatecatalog.ucf.edu/programs/program.aspx?id=1198 ).

Originally I was leaning more towards dynamics (mechanics) but now that I'm in statics I see little to be gained by taking dynamics. On the other hand thermo fluids would teach me a thing or two about heat transfer which I could see being useful for circuits or microprocessors in general.

So far my spring semester is looking like this
Digital Systems- Combinational and sequential logic circuits including registers, arithmetic units, memories, finite state machines, and design with programmable logic devices.
Electrical Networks- Analysis and design of linear circuits, transients, ac analysis, power calculations, threephase circuits, Laplace transform.
Physics 3-Thermodynamics, oscillations, modern physics

And finally here's the course description for thermo fluids
Introduction to first and second laws of thermodynamics, continuum fluid mechanics, and heat transfer for electrical, industrial, and computer engineering majors.

I think taking thermo fluids and physics 3 would give me a strong understanding of thermodynamics whereas dynamics would be a little off-topic for my major. Regardless I have to pick one of the two. I tried searching on Google but all it lead me to were university sites about those classes or programs related to them. I also asked my adviser who couldn't answer the question, today I will ask my physics 2 professor for his input as well.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are taking statics then dynamics is going to be the same just in motion. You should be able to self study that. However heat transfer is very important in circuit design. Especially when you're trying to figure out how much heat is dissipated through epoxies and such. When I took it last semester it had a lot in common with circuit analysis. For example when you get to thermal circuits which are solved just like electrical circuits and you'll see thermal resistances and capacitance and series and parallel circuits. Heat transfer should be required for EE majors

Likes 1 person
That's what I figured about dynamics. If I can find a thermo fluids section that fits in my schedule I'll take it.

Thanks caldweab

1. What is the difference between dynamics and thermo fluids in the context of electrical engineering?

Dynamics refers to the study of motion and forces within a system, while thermo fluids involves the study of heat transfer and fluid mechanics. In the context of electrical engineering, dynamics may be relevant when analyzing the movement of electrical components, while thermo fluids may be important in understanding the cooling and heat dissipation of electronic devices.

2. How do dynamics and thermo fluids affect the performance of electrical systems?

Dynamics and thermo fluids can greatly impact the performance of electrical systems. For example, in motors or generators, the movement of electrical components (dynamics) can affect the efficiency and output of the system. Similarly, the cooling and heat dissipation (thermo fluids) of electronic devices can impact their reliability and lifespan.

3. Which is more important for electrical engineers to understand: dynamics or thermo fluids?

Both dynamics and thermo fluids are important for electrical engineers to understand, as they can both greatly impact the design and performance of electrical systems. Depending on the specific project or application, one may be more relevant than the other. It is important for electrical engineers to have a strong understanding of both concepts.

4. How can an understanding of dynamics and thermo fluids be applied to electrical engineering projects?

An understanding of dynamics and thermo fluids can be applied to a variety of electrical engineering projects. For example, it can be used in the design and optimization of motors, generators, and other electromechanical systems. It can also be applied to the design of cooling systems for electronic devices to ensure efficient heat dissipation.

5. Are there any specific courses or resources that can help me learn more about dynamics and thermo fluids for EE?

Yes, there are many courses and resources available to help you learn more about dynamics and thermo fluids in the context of electrical engineering. Some universities offer specific courses on these topics, and there are also online resources, textbooks, and research papers that can provide valuable information and insights.