1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermo/Fluids Research Paper Idea

1. Apr 15, 2009 #1
    I am a sophomore engineering student taking a thermodynamics/fluid mechanics course right now. We have to write a short 4 page research paper on a topic of our choosing, that deals with thermodynamics and/or fluid mechanics. I am looking for ideas on a good topic, keeping in mind that I have to find 5 technical sources to use as references and it has to fit onto 4 pages total, so It can't be something too complicated or obscure. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about the difficulty of mixing fluids at the microscale? Flows at this scale are laminar rather than turbulent; as a result, poor reagent mixing has slowed development of lab-on-a-chip and micro-total-analysis-system devices. Researchers have responded by conceiving of and building a multitude of mixers, pumps, and ingenious channel designs. See, for example, J Micromech Microeng and Lab on a Chip.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook