E-L equations only hold for independent variables?

In summary, the assumption of independent variations in coordinates is necessary in the derivation of the E-L equations. However, if there is a constraint relating the variables, such as a time-dependent potential or forces, the method of Lagrange multipliers can be used in conjunction with the Lagrangian at unconstrained coordinates. This modified E-L equation accounts for the non-independence of the variations.
Coffee_
I'm talking about this:

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/courses/cs6650/2008fa/images/thumb_EL.jpg

In the derivation when you minimize action you assume that all the variations in coordinates are independent and thus conclude that each term has to be zero. When this isn't the case anymore one doesn't reach this conclusion.

Question 1: Is the above correct,

If yes, here follows the real reason for this post:

Question 2: One can also derive the E-L equations from d'Alemberts principle of virtual work. One arrives at the same equations. However it seems that no explicit assumption of the variables being independent was ever made. Where does this assumption hide in this derivation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Often if there is a constraint relating the variables so they aren't independent, then the method of Lagrange multipliers may be used in conjunction with the Lagrangian at the unconstrained coordinates. For example if we have a constraint relating the variables ##\int dt\; g(\mathbf{q}(t), \dot{\mathbf{q}}(t)) = 0## Then solutions may be found by using
$$\left[\frac{\partial}{\partial q_i} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial }{\partial \dot{q}_i}\right]\left[ \mathcal{L} + \lambda g\right] = 0 $$ This does relate to the the variations not being independent. You can see an explanation of that on page 156 here.

MisterX said:
Often if there is a constraint relating the variables so they aren't independent, then the method of Lagrange multipliers may be used in conjunction with the Lagrangian at the unconstrained coordinates. For example if we have a constraint relating the variables ##\int dt\; g(\mathbf{q}(t), \dot{\mathbf{q}}(t)) = 0## Then solutions may be found by using
$$\left[\frac{\partial}{\partial q_i} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial }{\partial \dot{q}_i}\right]\left[ \mathcal{L} + \lambda g\right] = 0 $$ This does relate to the the variations not being independent. You can see an explanation of that on page 156 here.

Hey, I might just being slow but this doesn't answer my question directly or does it? You are talking about constraints here between the coordinates, what I'm talking about is the potential as used in ##L=T-V## being a function of the time. Or more correct, the forces in space being the gradient of a time dependent function. Can I then still use the standard E-L equations?

Da
MisterX said:
Sorry for my previous reply, I mixed thus thread up with another question I posted. So to conclude, if I have dependent variables in the lagrangian I can't just use the standard method?

Yes if the ##q_i## and ##\dot{q}_i## are not independent you must use a modified E-L equation.

1. What are E-L equations?

E-L equations, short for Euler-Lagrange equations, are a set of mathematical equations used in the field of calculus of variations. They are used to find the extrema of a functional, which is a mathematical expression involving a function or a set of functions.

2. What is the significance of independent variables in E-L equations?

Independent variables in E-L equations refer to the variables that are not dependent on other variables in the functional. In other words, they are the variables that are not constrained by any other variables in the equation.

3. Why do E-L equations only hold for independent variables?

E-L equations only hold for independent variables because they are derived from the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the derivative of a function with respect to its independent variable is equal to the integrand of the function. Therefore, E-L equations can only be applied to independent variables.

4. Can E-L equations be used for dependent variables?

No, E-L equations cannot be used for dependent variables because they are based on the fundamental theorem of calculus, which only applies to independent variables. Additionally, using E-L equations for dependent variables would result in incorrect solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to using E-L equations for independent variables?

Yes, there are limitations to using E-L equations for independent variables. These equations can only be used for continuous and differentiable functions, and they may not provide a solution if the functional is non-differentiable or has a boundary condition that cannot be satisfied.