E&M: Field of a Wire with non-uniform current

In summary, the conversation is about the correctness of a solution to a magnetostatics problem. The solution was based on using Ampere's Law in differential form and taking the curl of the magnetic field, which resulted in a value of 0 for the field outside the wire. The conversation also discusses alternative methods of solving the problem and the importance of double-checking the answer to reinforce understanding and trust in one's abilities.
KDPhysics
Summary:: Not sure if my solution to a magnetostatics problem is correct

[Mentor Note -- thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown]

I was trying to solve problem 2 from: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-022-physics-ii-electricity-and-magnetism-fall-2006/exams/exam2.pdf

Here is my solution:

IMG_20200522_214706.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine, except in part 4 you did not specify the field outside.

Likes etotheipi and KDPhysics
do you mean the curl of the B field?

KDPhysics said:
do you mean the curl of the B field?
Yes, sorry, that's what I meant.

Since the current density is zero outside, is the curl also zero?

You have an expression for ##\vec B(\vec r)## outside the wire. Can't you just take its curl?

Isn't it faster to just use Ampere's Law in differential form?

I tried just evaluating the curl in cylindrical coordinates and found 0, as was expected.

Soo was my initial reasoning using Ampere's law correct? Or was it just a coincidence?

KDPhysics said:
Isn't it faster to just use Ampere's Law in differential form?
It is, but aren't you just curious whether you get the same answer if you did it the other way? Checking the answer by doing it in two different ways shows that it all hangs together and is not coincidence, not to mention reinforcing the belief in yourself that you can do this sort of thing on your own and do it correctly.

Likes KDPhysics
That is true... Well I guess I now trust Ampere's Law even more than before. Thanks

Likes kuruman

1. What is the "E&M" in the title referring to?

E&M stands for electromagnetism, which is the study of the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. In this context, it refers to the field created by a wire with non-uniform current.

2. How is the field of a wire with non-uniform current different from a wire with uniform current?

A wire with non-uniform current has varying amounts of current flowing through different parts of the wire, while a wire with uniform current has the same amount of current flowing through every part of the wire. This results in a more complex and changing magnetic field for a wire with non-uniform current.

3. What factors affect the strength of the field of a wire with non-uniform current?

The strength of the field of a wire with non-uniform current is affected by the amount of current flowing through each part of the wire, the distance from the wire, and the shape of the wire. These factors can all impact the direction and intensity of the magnetic field.

4. How is the field of a wire with non-uniform current calculated?

The field of a wire with non-uniform current can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which takes into account the current, distance, and shape of the wire. This law uses vector calculus to determine the magnetic field at a specific point in space.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the field of a wire with non-uniform current?

Understanding the field of a wire with non-uniform current is important in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and telecommunications. It is used in the design of electronic devices, power transmission systems, and medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).