E&M separation of variables and Fourier

That is the key mathematical concept behind this chapter. There are plenty of books on the subject but I don't have any personal recommendations.
Mike Jonese
Snapchat-1655340132.jpg

Homework Statement

Boundary conditions are i) V=0 when y=0 ii) V=0 when y=a iii) V=V0(y) when x=0 iv) V=0 when x app infinity.
I understand and follow this problem (separating vars and eliminated constants) until the potential
is found to be V(x,y) = Ce^(-kx)*sin(ky)

Condition ii implies that V(0,a) = Csin(k*a) = 0 so sin(ka) must =0 and k=n*π/a
Question 1) Why can't we just set k=π/a so that V(0,y) = Csin(πy/a) where V(0,a) = 0 and V(0,0) =0? This would not screw up the boundary condition and you wouldn't have to deal with infinite solutions because of n?

Homework Equations

Moving on,
Book give a more general solution that includes all the different solutions due to n
V(x,y) = (n=1---->inf)∑Cn*e^(-nπx/a)*sin(nπy/a)
V(0,y) = (n=1---->inf)∑Cn*sin(nπy/a) = V0(y)
and now we are trying to find the Coefficient C's that make this possible
I'm including the section here to save typing
Snapchat-697077882.jpg

I didn't realize the forum would kill the resolution
IMG_20171008_152001.jpg

IMG_20171008_152129.jpg

3.Attempt at solution
I tried, I don't understand this in general ( I haven't taken diff eqn yet)
Question 2. How can you solve the integral that leads to (3.32)
Question 3 How does V0(y) pop into the integrand in (3.32)
Question 4 how can the answer be 0 or a/2 based on n and n' (is this some type of delta fxn?)
Question 5 Can someone describe as you would to a 3rd grader why 3.36 is an answer and what it means. Is this just an approximation?
Question 6. What makes something orthogonal in the sense of 3.32

I extremely appreciate and help or insight (or direction to external reference material) anyone might have. Thank you very much! -Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mike Jonese said:
Question 1) Why can't we just set k=π/a so that V(0,y) = Csin(πy/a) where V(0,a) = 0 and V(0,0) =0? This would not screw up the boundary condition and you wouldn't have to deal with infinite solutions because of n?
Because you need the whole family of solutions in order to match the boundary condition ##V(0,y)=V_{0}(y)##. There is no way to make ##V(0,y)=C\text{sin}(\pi y/a)=V_{0}(y)## unless ##V_{0}## happens to be that specific sine function.
Mike Jonese said:
Question 2. How can you solve the integral that leads to (3.32)
The point is that the sine functions are orthogonal so the integral is zero if the n's are different and ##a/2## if the n's are the same number.
Mike Jonese said:
Question 3 How does V0(y) pop into the integrand in (3.32)
We know that at ##x=0##
$$V(0,y)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}C_{n}\text{sin}(n\pi y/a)=V_{0}(y)$$
The "trick" referenced is to first multiply both sides by ##\text{sin}(n^{\prime}\pi y/a)##
$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}C_{n}\text{sin}(n\pi y/a)\text{sin}(n^{\prime}\pi y/a)=V_{0}(y)\text{sin}(n^{\prime}\pi y/a)$$
then integrate from 0 to ##a##
$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}C_{n}\int_{0}^{a}\text{sin}(n\pi y/a)\text{sin}(n^{\prime}\pi y/a)dy=\int_{0}^{a}V_{0}(y)\text{sin}(n^{\prime}\pi y/a)dy$$
Mike Jonese said:
Question 4 how can the answer be 0 or a/2 based on n and n' (is this some type of delta fxn?)
Again, this is because sine functions are orthogonal. This means that when you integrate two of them over some number of half periods, then integral evaluates to zero if they have different frequencies or ##a/2## if they have the same frequency.
Mike Jonese said:
Question 5 Can someone describe as you would to a 3rd grader why 3.36 is an answer and what it means. Is this just an approximation?
I don't think I could explain Fourier analysis to a 3rd grader but Griffiths says just above this that he is now assuming that the potential is constant at ##x=0## so ##V_{0}(y)=V_{0}##. This causes ##V_{0}## to just pop out of the integral allowing you to just integrate the sine function as usual.
Mike Jonese said:
Question 6. What makes something orthogonal in the sense of 3.32
See answer to question 4.
Mike Jonese said:
I tried, I don't understand this in general ( I haven't taken diff eqn yet)
I was actually in the same position when I was learning E&M from Griffiths. I had only taken up to Calc III and spent hours carefully rereading this chapter until it finally hit me as to what was going on.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to that, that definitely shed some light on this. Do you happen to remember any good lecture notes online or youtube channels that you came across when you were taking the class that were good references? I found a youtube guy that goes through the same textbook but the quality is hit or miss. Anyways thanks again!

Mike Jonese said:
Thank you for taking the time to respond to that, that definitely shed some light on this. Do you happen to remember any good lecture notes online or youtube channels that you came across when you were taking the class that were good references? I found a youtube guy that goes through the same textbook but the quality is hit or miss. Anyways thanks again!
From what i remember I learned mostly from the book and my professor. It sounds like your main difficulty is the math, so I would suggest looking for books or websites on Fourier analysis.

1. What is the concept of E&M separation of variables and Fourier?

E&M separation of variables and Fourier is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations in electromagnetism. It involves splitting the solution into two parts, one that depends on space variables and one that depends on time variables. The Fourier method is then used to express the spatial part of the solution as a sum of trigonometric functions.

2. How is E&M separation of variables and Fourier applied in physics?

E&M separation of variables and Fourier is used to solve a wide range of physical problems in electromagnetism, including electric and magnetic fields in conductors, wave propagation, and boundary value problems. It allows for a systematic and efficient way to solve complex equations and obtain solutions that can be easily interpreted.

3. Can E&M separation of variables and Fourier be used for any type of differential equation?

E&M separation of variables and Fourier is specifically designed for solving partial differential equations with separable variables, which are commonly found in electromagnetism. It may not be applicable to other types of differential equations, such as ordinary differential equations.

4. What are the advantages of using E&M separation of variables and Fourier in solving E&M problems?

One of the main advantages of using E&M separation of variables and Fourier is that it allows for a systematic approach to solving complex equations, which can be difficult to solve using other methods. It also provides a clear physical interpretation of the solutions, making it easier to understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in different scenarios.

5. Are there any limitations to using E&M separation of variables and Fourier?

E&M separation of variables and Fourier may not always provide an exact solution to a problem, especially when dealing with non-homogeneous boundary conditions or non-linear equations. In these cases, numerical methods may be necessary. It also requires a good understanding of the underlying physics and mathematical concepts, which may be challenging for beginners.