Early 1900's Concentration Measurements

In summary: So 1 M would be 50 mL, 2 M would be 100 mL, 4 M would be 200 mL, 8 M would be 400 mL, 16 M would be 800 mL etc. It was very convenient to be able to express these concentrations in this way.In summary, the M/4 concentration expression is just a modern way of saying a 0.25 M or 250 mM solution.
Rogers40
I have read a few papers that were written in the early 1900's where their concentration measurements are M/4, M/8, M/16, M/32, M/256. I am not sure what this means and I was wondering if anyone could relate these concentration measurements to normal concentration measurements we use now, such as Molar. An example of a paper that used this method of measuring concentration is linked below.
http://ebm.rsmjournals.com/content/23/1/66.extract

I have searched google and had no luck finding what the M/number concentration measurement means. If anyone could find out what this means it would really help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Rogers40 said:
I have read a few papers that were written in the early 1900's where their concentration measurements are M/4, M/8, M/16, M/32, M/256. I am not sure what this means and I was wondering if anyone could relate these concentration measurements to normal concentration measurements we use now, such as Molar. An example of a paper that used this method of measuring concentration is linked below.
http://ebm.rsmjournals.com/content/23/1/66.extract

I have searched google and had no luck finding what the M/number concentration measurement means. If anyone could find out what this means it would really help.

The M/4 concentration expression is simply an ordinary molar concentration expressed as a fraction rather than a decimal. So a M/4 concentration really means simply a 0.25 M or a 250 mM solution in modern terms.

The reason for the fractions being powers of 2 is also a very simple one: It was standard practice to make up a 1 M solution, and then prepare a series of dilutions by pipetting a 50 mL aliquot, and making up to 100 mL in a volumetric flask and then repeating that procedure several times to obtain a M/2, M/4, M/8, M/16 etc. series.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What methods were commonly used to measure concentrations in the early 1900s?

In the early 1900s, scientists primarily used titration, gravimetric analysis, and spectroscopy to measure concentrations of substances.

2. How accurate were concentration measurements in the early 1900s?

Due to limitations in technology and equipment, concentration measurements in the early 1900s were not as accurate as they are today. However, they were still considered reliable and provided valuable information for scientific research.

3. Were there any significant advancements in concentration measurement during the early 1900s?

Yes, the development of the pH scale in 1909 by S.P.L. Sørensen and the introduction of the spectrophotometer in the early 1900s greatly improved the accuracy and efficiency of concentration measurements.

4. How did scientists record and analyze concentration data in the early 1900s?

Scientists typically recorded their concentration measurements in laboratory notebooks and analyzed the data manually using mathematical calculations. They also often used graphs and charts to visually represent the data.

5. Were there any challenges or limitations in conducting concentration measurements in the early 1900s?

Yes, scientists faced various challenges and limitations in conducting concentration measurements during this time. These included limited access to advanced equipment, lack of standardization in measurement techniques, and difficulties in controlling external factors that could affect the accuracy of the measurements.