Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Early 1900's Concentration Measurements

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    I have read a few papers that were written in the early 1900's where their concentration measurements are M/4, M/8, M/16, M/32, M/256. I am not sure what this means and I was wondering if anyone could relate these concentration measurements to normal concentration measurements we use now, such as Molar. An example of a paper that used this method of measuring concentration is linked below.
    http://ebm.rsmjournals.com/content/23/1/66.extract [Broken]

I have searched google and had no luck finding what the M/number concentration measurement means. If anyone could find out what this means it would really help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2
  4. Sep 6, 2012 #3
    The M/4 concentration expression is simply an ordinary molar concentration expressed as a fraction rather than a decimal. So a M/4 concentration really means simply a 0.25 M or a 250 mM solution in modern terms.

The reason for the fractions being powers of 2 is also a very simple one: It was standard practice to make up a 1 M solution, and then prepare a series of dilutions by pipetting a 50 mL aliquot, and making up to 100 mL in a volumetric flask and then repeating that procedure several times to obtain a M/2, M/4, M/8, M/16 etc. series.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook