1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights Early Physics Education in High Schools - Comments

1. May 7, 2015 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2015 #2
    We're migrating this classic to PF Insights. Enjoy!

4. May 8, 2015 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is a good start- my only comment is that the post does not explain *why* a foundation in mathematics is so important- it's the language of quantitative science. Not being prepared mathematically is like being semi-literate or worse. Just as one would not expect to be a music major without knowing how to read music, one should not expect to be a STEM major without knowing how to 'read' equations. A second reason is that the formal structure of mathematics provides a framework for logical thoughts/arguments and deductive reasoning.

5. May 8, 2015 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

6. May 25, 2015 #5
    Thank you, ZapperZ. I am just finishing my senior year of high school (Only a week left). I have taken AP Calculus AB and will still practice many problems over the summer. Unfortunately, I did not have the greatest high school physics experience. It's a good thing I was interested in the subject way before taking the class (Honors Physics). Are there any ways I can prepare over the summer before taking Physics for Science and Engineering I in the Fall? Perhaps some textbooks or online sources? I already own the Feynman Lectures, University Physics 13th Edition, and Giancoli's 6th Edition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted