Potential Energy and Loop-de-Loops

In summary: Fn + Fg = maIn summary, the bead moves around the loop-the-loop at a speed of v, and has a normal force of magnitude N pointing downward at point .
brinstar

Homework Statement

A bead slides without friction around a loop–the–loop (see figure below). The bead is released from rest at a heighth = 3.60R.
8-p-005.gif

(a) What is its speed at point
circleA.gif
? (Use the following as necessary: the acceleration due to gravity g, and R.)
v = _________________

(b) How large is the normal force on the bead at point
circleA.gif
if its mass is 4.70 grams?
Find the magnitude and direction.

Homework Equations

u = mgh
k = .5mv^2
ui + ki = uf + kf
g = 9.8 m/s^2
h = 3.60R

The Attempt at a Solution

For a, I don't know how much farther I can go. the farthest I've gotten is this:

where h = 3.60R

ui + ki = uf + kf
mgh + 0 = .5mv^2 + mgh
gh = .5v^2 + gh

If I subtract gh from the right though, I'll get 0... which is obviously not the answer here. So I need major help there.

As for b, I know the direction is downward. It's upside down so if I flip the entire diagram, I see that normal force is really pointing down.

As for the first part, I just converted grams to kg, then multiplied by 9.8 m/s^2. However, the website I'm entering the answer into keeps saying I'm wrong when I type in when I input my answer 0.04606 N, so I'm not sure what's up there... I also tried 0.0461 N, and still no dice...

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
brinstar said:
ui + ki = uf + kf
mgh + 0 = .5mv^2 + mgh
What does the variable uf represent? What is the 'final' state in the calculation you are trying to do? (I.e., where is the bead at the end?)

haruspex said:
What does the variable uf represent? What is the 'final' state in the calculation you are trying to do? (I.e., where is the bead at the end?)

uf is final potential energy, which I'm counting as the top of the loop at point A. So, although I don't know if the set up is correct, I'm making the final stop to be at the loop-de-loop point A.

brinstar said:
uf is final potential energy, which I'm counting as the top of the loop at point A. So, although I don't know if the set up is correct, I'm making the final stop to be at the loop-de-loop point A.
Ok, so what should uf equal? Why have you substituted mgh?

haruspex said:
Ok, so what should uf equal? Why have you substituted mgh?

where (initial height) = 3.60R

and I fixed the initial h and h at a, as I just realized how bad of a mistake that was

ui + ki = kf + uf
mg(initial height) + 0 = .5mv^2 + mg(height at a)
3.60Rg = .5v^2 + g(height at a)

I don't know how to get height at A based on the 3.60R stuff so I am totally lost there. My book keeps saying that height at a is 2R, but I don't understand that conceptually and I don't just want to put down something to answer the question without fully understanding it :(

brinstar said:
where (initial height) = 3.60R

and I fixed the initial h and h at a, as I just realized how bad of a mistake that was

ui + ki = kf + uf
mg(initial height) + 0 = .5mv^2 + mg(height at a)
3.60Rg = .5v^2 + g(height at a)

I don't know how to get height at A based on the 3.60R stuff so I am totally lost there. My book keeps saying that height at a is 2R, but I don't understand that conceptually and I don't just want to put down something to answer the question without fully understanding it :(
For the purposes of gravitational PE, you have to choose a common baseline. The initial height h is measured from the bottom of the loop,so the bottom of the loop is the baseline. The loop has radius R, so what is the height of the top of the loop?

haruspex said:
For the purposes of gravitational PE, you have to choose a common baseline. The initial height h is measured from the bottom of the loop,so the bottom of the loop is the baseline. The loop has radius R, so what is the height of the top of the loop?

OH MY G THAT MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE!

Thank you!

The height is 2R, as the diameter is the height of the loop.

3.60Rg = .5v^2 + g2R
3.60Rg - 2Rg = .5v^2
2Rg(3.60-2) = v^2
v = sqrt(Rg(3.20))

So then, proceeding on

Fn + Fg = sum of forces = ma

So would ma be centripetal acceleration?

brinstar said:
So would ma be centripetal acceleration?
ma would be the centripetal force, a the centripetal acceleration, which I assume is what you meant.

haruspex said:
ma would be the centripetal force, a the centripetal acceleration, which I assume is what you meant.

Yes, thank you, that's what i meant

Fn + Fg = sum of forces = ma = mv^2/R

Fn + Fg = m (3.2gR)/R
Fn + Fg = 3.2gm
Fn + mg = 3.2mg
Fn = 3.2mg - 1mg
Fn = mg(2.2)
Fn = (4.70 x 10^-3)(9.8)(2.2)
Fn = 0.101332 N

Okay, I hope I got it now!

brinstar said:
Yes, thank you, that's what i meant

Fn + Fg = sum of forces = ma = mv^2/R

Fn + Fg = m (3.2gR)/R
Fn + Fg = 3.2gm
Fn + mg = 3.2mg
Fn = 3.2mg - 1mg
Fn = mg(2.2)
Fn = (4.70 x 10^-3)(9.8)(2.2)
Fn = 0.101332 N

Okay, I hope I got it now!
That looks right.

haruspex said:
That looks right.
Awesome, thanks so much!

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy.

How does potential energy relate to loop-de-loops?

In a loop-de-loop, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the object moves down the slope. At the bottom of the loop, the object has the most kinetic energy and the least potential energy. As it moves back up the slope, the kinetic energy decreases and the potential energy increases again.

What factors affect an object's potential energy in a loop-de-loop?

The object's mass, height of the loop, and speed at the top of the loop all affect its potential energy in a loop-de-loop. A heavier object or a higher loop will have more potential energy, while a faster speed at the top of the loop will result in less potential energy.

Can potential energy be negative in a loop-de-loop?

No, potential energy cannot be negative in a loop-de-loop. This is because potential energy is always measured relative to a chosen reference point, and in a loop-de-loop, the lowest point is usually chosen as the reference point. Therefore, the potential energy at any point in the loop will always be positive.

What is the relationship between potential energy and mechanical energy in a loop-de-loop?

In a loop-de-loop, the total mechanical energy (the sum of kinetic and potential energy) remains constant. As the object moves from the top of the loop to the bottom, potential energy decreases while kinetic energy increases. This conservation of mechanical energy is due to the law of conservation of energy.