Finding the normal at the bottom of a curved track

  • Thread starter Thread starter sadpwner
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Normal Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
sadpwner
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A boy slides on a sled on the curved track sketched (black line). (Treat the boy and sled as a particle.) His mass plus that of the sled is m = 41 kg. Friction and air resistance are negligible (I want a sled like that!). His initial speed is v0 = 1.3 m.s–1. The height h = 4.3 m. At the bottom, the track has a radius of curvature (grey circle) R = 3.2 m. At the bottom of the track, what is the normal force exerted by the track on the sled?

Homework Equations


ac=v^2/r
W=mg
Ui+Ki=Uf+Kf

The Attempt at a Solution



N+Fcentripetal=W

N=W-Fc

W=mg=-9.8*41

Ui+Ki=Uf+Kf

m*g*h+m*v0^2/2 =m*v^2

2*g*h+v0^2=v^2

2*-9.8*4.3+1.3^2=-82.59

I would plug this into the centripetal acceleration formula but v^2 shouldn't be a negative number so I am not quite sure if I got the right number.
 
Attachments
  • cart track.png
    cart track.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 505
Physics news on Phys.org
sadpwner said:

Homework Statement


A boy slides on a sled on the curved track sketched (black line). (Treat the boy and sled as a particle.) His mass plus that of the sled is m = 41 kg. Friction and air resistance are negligible (I want a sled like that!). His initial speed is v0 = 1.3 m.s–1. The height h = 4.3 m. At the bottom, the track has a radius of curvature (grey circle) R = 3.2 m. At the bottom of the track, what is the normal force exerted by the track on the sled?

Homework Equations


ac=v^2/r
W=mg
Ui+Ki=Uf+Kf

The Attempt at a Solution



N+Fcentripetal=W

N=W-Fc

W=mg=-9.8*41

Ui+Ki=Uf+Kf

m*g*h+m*v0^2/2 =m*v^2

2*g*h+v0^2=v^2

2*-9.8*4.3+1.3^2=-82.59

I would plug this into the centripetal acceleration formula but v^2 shouldn't be a negative number so I am not quite sure if I got the right number.

g=9.8 m/s2, and the potential energy at height h is mgh >0 . It was incorrect to take it negative.
 
ehild said:
g=9.8 m/s2, and the potential energy at height h is mgh >0 . It was incorrect to take it negative.
Wow, I got it wrong somehow.

Continuing from where I left off:

2*9.8*4.3+1.3^2=85.97

41*9.8-41*85.97/3.2=-699.69N

The normal force is negative?
 
sadpwner said:
Wow, I got it wrong somehow.

Continuing from where I left off:

2*9.8*4.3+1.3^2=85.97

41*9.8-41*85.97/3.2=-699.69N

The normal force is negative?
What are these numbers? How do you get the normal force?
 
ehild said:
What are these numbers? How do you get the normal force?
N=W-Fc

=mg-mv^2/r

=41*9.8-41*85.97/3.2

=-699.69N
 
sadpwner said:
N=W-Fc

=mg-mv^2/r
That is not correct.
At what direction can the bottom of the track push the sled, upward and downward? What is the direction of the centripetal force? upward and downward?
 
ehild said:
That is not correct.
At what direction can the bottom of the track push the sled, upward and downward? What is the direction of the centripetal force? upward and downward?
Track pushes sled upwards. Centripetal is towards the centre so that is upwards as well.
 
sadpwner said:
N=W-Fc
This treats Fc as though it is an applied force, which it is not. It is that resultant of the applied forces necessary to achieve the curved path. Treat it much like the ma term in ΣF=ma.
 
haruspex said:
This treats Fc as though it is an applied force, which it is not. It is that resultant of the applied forces necessary to achieve the curved path. Treat it much like the ma term in ΣF=ma.
Then,

N=W+Fc?
 
sadpwner said:
Then,

N=W+Fc?
The centripetal force is the resultant of the gravitational force (downward) and normal force (upward). It is better to write the equation for the forces as Fc =N-mg.

upload_2016-4-10_13-49-2.png