1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air glider question and air resistance

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Early test flights for the space shuttle used as a glider (mass of 980kg). After a horizontal launch at 480 km/h at a height of 3500m, the glider eventually landed at a speed of 210 km/h. What would its landing speed have been in the absence of air resistance? also, what was the average force of air resistance exerted on it if it came in at a constant glide angle of 12degrees to the earth's surface?

I attempted the first question by calculating the vertical component of the velocity and then using the Pythagorean theorem to calculate compound velocity. However, how I am completely at a loss of how to approach the second part. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

HINT: What is the work done by air resistance?

4. Nov 7, 2008 #3
    So, by using the theta and the given vertical component, I was able to find the total distance. Then, using the initial PE and final KE, I found the difference in energy lost and therefore work done by the air, setting up the equation W=fd I got f(air resistance)=-1897.8N. Does that sound right to you guys?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?